Puff Pastry Apple Tart (30 minutes)
Whip up this puff pastry apple tart for a weeknight or weekend dessert. Simple and delicious. Just apples, puff pastry, butter and brown sugar (ok, ice cream too).
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 1 apple, cored and sliced into thin wedges (about 1/4 inch thick) Note 1
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp flour (or as needed)
- 1/2 lb puff pastry dough (one sheet), thawed (~230 g)
Preheat oven to 400F
PREPARE TART: Spread softened butter on an 8 inch pie dish. Sprinkle brown sugar to cover the bottom. Arrange apples, overlapping, around the outer edge, then the inner edge, covering the entire bottom of the pie plate. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons flour over apples to help absorb the juices (and avoid a soggy crust). Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
PREPARE CRUST: The crust will start on the top and end up on the bottom when tart is inverted onto a plate. Unfold dough or roll to 1/8 inch. Cut out round piece of dough to fit pie dish. (I lay inverted pie dish on top of dough and cut around it). You will have leftover dough. Don't fuss - you can trim it after. Lay dough on top of apples and tuck the edges downward all around inside edge of pie plate.
BAKE AND SERVE: Bake tart for 23 minutes or until crispy and deep golden brown. Remove from oven. Invert onto a plate. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
- Apples: use apples that hold up well during baking such as granny smith, golden delicious, honeycrisp, gala, braeburn, jonagold, fuji.
- Number of Servings: The recipe is for one small 8 inch tart that would serve 4 people. If you use a full package of puff pastry (2 sheets/rolls), you can make 3 full 8-inch tarts. Use the left over puff pastry from two tarts to make the third.
- Make Ahead: Assemble the puff pasty apple tart, then pop it into the oven while you're eating dinner. Alternatively, bake the tart and invert it onto an oven safe plate. It can sit on the counter until you need it. Warm it in a 350F oven for 5 minutes before serving.
Calories: 442kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 195mg | Potassium: 102mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 2mg