Puff Pastry Apple Tart (30 minutes)
Whip up this puff pastry tart with apples for an impressive but simple dessert. Easy, quick and delicious. Just apples, puff pastry, butter and brown sugar (ok, ice cream too).
Servings (change as needed): 4 (or 6 smaller slices)
- 1 large apple, cored and thinly sliced, Note 1 (about 1/4 inch/63 mm thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
- cinnamon for light sprinkling (optional)
- 1/2 pound dough (one sheet of puff pastry), thawed
HEAT OVEN to 400F/204C.
PREPARE TART: See step-by-step photos in post. Spread softened butter on the bottom and sides of an 8 inch/20 cm pie dish. Sprinkle brown sugar over butter to cover the bottom. Arrange apples, overlapping, around the outer edge, then the inner edge, covering the entire bottom of the pie plate. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons flour over apples to help absorb the juices (and avoid a soggy crust). Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired (good!)
PREPARE PUFF PASTRY CRUST: The crust will start on the top and end up on the bottom when tart is inverted onto a plate. Unfold dough or roll to 1/8 inch/3 mm. Cut out round piece of dough to fit pie dish. (I lay inverted pie dish on top of dough and cut around it with a sharp knife). You will have leftover dough. Don't fuss - you can trim it after. Lay dough on top of apples and tuck the edges downward all around inside edge of pie plate. BAKE AND SERVE: Place unbaked tart on a sheet pan if you're worried about leaking (which shouldn't happen). Bake tart for 23 minutes or until crispy and deep golden brown. Remove from oven. Invert tart: Place upside down plate that is larger than pie dish on top of baked tart, then Invert tart onto a plate using oven mitts (it will be hot). Serve warm tart with ice cream or whipped cream.
Nutrition values are estimates for 1/4 of apple tart. Calories and other values will be less if you cut the tart into 6 slices instead of 4.
- Best apples: use apples that hold up well during baking such as granny smith, golden delicious, honeycrisp, gala, braeburn, jonagold, fuji.
- Number of Servings: The recipe is for one small 8 inch tart that would serve 4 people (or 6 smaller slices). If you use a full package of puff pastry (2 sheets/rolls), you can make 3 full 8-inch tarts. Use the left over puff pastry from two tarts to make the third.
- Make Ahead: Assemble the puff pasty apple tart, then pop it into the oven while you're eating dinner. Alternatively, bake the tart and invert it onto an oven safe plate. It can sit on the counter until you need it. Warm it in a 350F/176C oven for 5 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or two. Crisp up in the oven before serving.
Calories: 442kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 195mg | Potassium: 102mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 2mg