Chicken Stir Fry With Apples
Apples, cider, chicken, onion, peppers, garlic and thyme combine beautifully in this easy chicken stir fry with apples for a quick and tasty weeknight meal.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 2 pound boneless chicken (white or dark), cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoon flour, mixed with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 3 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice or cider (water is ok too)
- 2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped herbs (e.g. parsley, chives, rosemary, thyme)
- 1 apple, cored and chopped into small pieces
STIR FRY CHICKEN: Coat chicken lightly in the seasoned flour. Heat oil to medium-high in a large skillet. Stir fry chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked through. Don't crowd the pan - do this in two batches if necessary. Spoon chicken onto a plate, cover with foil to keep warm and set aside.
STIR FRY VEGETABLES AND SEASONINGS: Add a teaspoon more oil if needed. Stir fry onions and peppers for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and thyme. Stir fry for another minute.
FINISH THE DISH AND SERVE: Add cider, applesauce, apple cider (or juice) and sugar if using. Mix well for a minute or two to heat through. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add chicken back into the skillet and stir. Sprinkle herbs and chopped apple on top. Serve with rice, mashed potatoes, noodles or quinoa.
Calories: 448kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 50g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 782mg | Potassium: 1118mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 2124IU | Vitamin C: 87mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 5mg