Berry Sauce On Pound Cake (shortcut)
Out of time and need a special dessert? Perhaps for your Valentine? With only 4 ingredients, this shortcut Berry Sauce on pound cake recipe is super easy, presents beautifully and is berry-intense.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 1 store-bought pound cake loaf
- 1 bag frozen berries (mixed or any combination), about 600 grams
- 1/4-1/2 cup white sugar depending on the sweetness you like
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice or to taste
- ice cream, toasted pound cake crumbs, lemon zest, whipped cream
MAKE BERRY SAUCE: Put frozen berries, sugar and lemon juice in a medium pot. Cover pot and heat on medium low, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes until juices begin to release. Uncover, increase heat to medium and cook for 15-20 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. It should coat the back of a spoon. Note that sauce will thicken a bit on standing so don't overcook or it will turn into jam. Taste and add more sugar or lemon if needed. Makes about 2 cups (enough for 6-8 desserts)
PREPARE CAKE SLICES: To make a shape (heart or diamond for example): Cut straight through the full height of the cake using a cookie cutter or a cut-out paper shape as a guide. Free hand cut is fine too. Then cut shapes horizontally in half or thirds. Otherwise, just slice cake into portion sizes. (you can also make shapes after slicing)
ASSEMBLE: Spread 3-4 tablespoons of berry sauce on shallow bowl or plate. Place piece of cake on top. If desired, add on top a little more berry sauce, small scoops of ice cream (I used a melon ball scoop), another drizzle of sauce, then a sprinkle of cake crumbs (note 1) or lemon zest. Serve immediately.
Nutrition values are estimates and do not include optional garnishes.
- To toast cake crumbs: Heat toaster oven or oven to 400F. Crush a small piece of cake (about 2 inch square) with hands onto a pan lined with foil into crumbs. Toast in oven for about 4 minutes (watch they don't burn). When cooled, crush further if needed into fine crumbs.
- Make Ahead: you can make the berry sauce up to a week ahead. Cake can be cut several hours or a day ahead: I suggest keeping it in s ziploc, sealed container or well covered in plastic to keep it moist.
Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 77g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 404mg | Potassium: 158mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 53g | Vitamin A: 185IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 2mg