Mini Stuffed Peppers With Goat Cheese
Try these one-bite Stuffed Mini Peppers with goat cheese and pesto for your next holiday or dinner party. Delicious, easy and only 20 minutes to make (with a few good shortcuts). I love to serve them with a dramatic drizzle of balsamic reduction.
Servings (change as needed): 16 pieces (6-8 servings_
- 8 mini peppers (3-4 inches long) any color (about 1/2 lb.)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Goat Cheese Mixture
- 1/2 cup goat cheese (3 oz or 85 gm) Note 1
- 2 tablespoon pesto (or more to taste) Note 2
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped green onion (about 1 green onion)
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Balsamic reduction drizzle Note 3
TURN ON BROILER in oven. Move one of shelves/rack to broil position, about 6 inches from the top. Line pan with foil for easy clean up.
PREPARE PEPPERS: Cut off tops/stems of mini peppers. Slice each down the middle lengthwise to make two halves. Using clean fingers and nails, scrape out seeds and soft ribs. Place on pan. Drizzle oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Turn peppers face side down in single layer on pan. Broil 3 minutes. Turn peppers over. Broil 3 minutes on side facing up or until peppers begin to char. Remove from oven.
MAKE GOAT CHEESE-PESTO MIXTURE (1 min): While peppers are broiling, combine goat cheese, onions and pesto in small bowl. Microwave for 15-20 seconds to soften. This makes it easier to stuff the peppers. Mix well.
STUFF AND BROIL: Spoon a teaspoon of mixture into each pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using. Broil for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes until starting to brown.
SERVE: Drizzle balsamic reduction in zigzag or cross hatch pattern on cutting board or platter. Transfer peppers with small spatula. Serve immediately.
- Use ricotta instead of goat cheese: If using ricotta, add a pinch of salt (and lemon juice or zest if you like) as the ricotta is very bland. I also add more pesto.
- To make your own pesto: Try our classic basil pesto recipe.
- Balsamic reduction: I use a store bought version in a small squeeze bottle that is perfect for drizzling. If you prefer to make your own (or can't find it), here's how to make balsamic reduction: Bring to boil a 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoons honey or brown sugar. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for about 6-8 minutes until it reduces by half to a syrup consistency (thick enough to coat the back of a spoon).
- Make Ahead: The recipe can be made ahead up to the point of broiling the stuffed peppers in the final stage just before serving. Alternatively, make the full recipe and serve at room temperature. Do the balsamic drizzle just before serving.
Calories: 36kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 122mg | Potassium: 30mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 549IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1mg