Lemon Butter Herb Baked Trout
I love this lemon butter herb baked trout made with just a few simple fresh ingredients in less than 20 minutes. Succulent, melt-in-your-mouth and delish.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 2 lbs trout fillets (preferably 2-3 larger size fillets)
- 1 cup finely chopped herbs Note 1 I use parsley and dill mixed with green onions
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lemon 2 tbsp lemon juice plus zest of whole lemon
- salt and pepper
HEAT OVEN TO 400F. Prepare a pan lined with parchment or foil sprayed with oil.
PREPARE TROUT FILLETS: Lay fillets on pan. Microwave butter and oil for 20-30 seconds until melted. Using a sharp knife, cut slits horizontally every 2 inches on each fillet (about 3-4 slits per fillet). Stuff half of mixed herbs into slits. Sprinkle fillets with salt and pepper. Drizzle HALF of butter oil mixture (about 2 tbsp) over trout.
BAKE TROUT: for 9-11 minutes, depending on thickness of fillets, or until cooked. Ideally, trout will be moist and warm pink - not dry, pale and flaky.
FINISH AND SERVE: Sprinkle remaining herbs and lemon zest over top of fillets. Drizzle remaining butter-oil mixture. Sprinkle lightly with sea or kosher salt. To serve: To serve without skin, slip spatula between flesh and skin, then lift up. I cut trout into portions first (just down to the skin) to make this easier. Serve immediately.
- Herbs: I suggest using fresh herbs for this dish (well green onion isn't a herb but I always use it in my herb combination). Another option is green onion, one fresh herb and 1- 2 teaspoons of a dried herb such as basil or thyme. Or just use two herbs - whatever you like best.
- Make Ahead: You can make this ahead if you are serving the trout at room temperature, say for a buffet or brunch. Otherwise, I suggest stuffing the fillets with chopped herbs several hours or even a day ahead. Then add the butter, oil, salt and pepper and bake just before serving.
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 147mg | Sodium: 323mg | Potassium: 939mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1570IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 125mg | Iron: 4mg