Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
Lemon Blueberry Pancakes are a match made in heaven. Zesty lemon, plump bursting blueberries and fluffy pancakes. All smothered in butter and maple syrup or your favorite toppings. Yum.
Servings (change as needed): 3 (about 4 pancakes per serving)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted slightly cooled
- 1 large lemon (2 tsp zest plus 2 tbsp lemon juice)
- 1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries, washed and patted dry Note 1
- butter for cooking pancakes, about 1 tsp per batch Oil can be substituted (if necessary).
MIX DRY INGREDIENTS: Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl to ensure blended with no lumps.
ADD WET INGREDIENTS TO MAKE BATTER: Add milk, egg, melted butter, lemon zest, lemon juice. Mix with a fork until blended. Don't over mix. A few lumps are ok. Let batter sit for about 5 minutes while you heat the pan. Gently stir in blueberries.
MAKE PANCAKES: Heat a non stick pan to medium high for several minutes, then lower to medium. Add a teaspoon butter. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop batter and place into pan. Repeat for as many pancakes will fit in pan without overcrowding. Wait patiently until bubbles form on the top (I mean it - wait!), about 3-5 minutes. Then flip pancakes and cook another 1-2 minutes. Transfer to plate. Repeat until all batter is used up. Serve immediately with butter and maple syrup or your favorite toppings. Or plain.
- To use frozen blueberries instead of fresh: Defrost frozen berries in a colander by rinsing under cold water. Dry on paper towels. This will avoid them bleeding into the batter.
- Make Ahead:
- To make a day ahead:
- Make the batter and leave it in the fridge overnight, covered. DON'T add the blueberries until just before making the pancakes.
- To freeze
- layer cooled pancakes in between parchment paper in a sealed container. OR
- place pancakes in a single layer on a baking tray. Place in freezer to flash freeze for 30 minutes. Transfer pancakes to a ziploc bag or container.
- may be frozen for up to 2 months.
Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 820mg | Potassium: 243mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 563IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 253mg | Iron: 3mg