Perfect Grilled Cheese on The Grill
Buttery and crunchy on the outside. Oozy and gooey on the inside. And no pan to clean up. Perfect grilled cheese made on the grill is pure comfort food tweaked for spring/summer.
Servings (change as needed): 2 grilled cheese sandwiches
- 4 slices bread Note 1 about 1/2 inch thick
- 4 slices cheese Note 2 or 2/3 cup shredded cheese
- 4 teaspoon soft butter or mayonnaise
HEAT GRILL TO MEDIUM-HIGH (450-475F)
GRILL ONE SIDE OF BREAD SLICES: Butter each slice of bread on one side. Grill one side of bread slices, butter side down, for about 1-2 minutes total (depending on thickness of bread), turning quarter turns a couple of times to get nice grill marks. Be careful not to burn it. Remove bread to a cutting board or tray. Turn off one side of the grill.
BUILD SANDWICHES: Lay bread slices on board, grilled side down. Pile cheese(s) on half the slices (the non toasted side), then cover with the other slices (toasted side up) to make a sandwich.
HEAT SANDWICHES TO MELT CHEESE: Place sandwiches on indirect heat (the part of the grill you turned off). Close the lid and heat for about 6-9 minutes or until cheese is fully melted. Transfer to plate. Cut in half and serve immediately.
Nutrition value estimates are for one sandwich.
- Best Breads: good old white bread, sour dough, pumpernickel, rye bread, multigrain bread, English Muffins, Challah, ciabatta. If you're putting extra stuff in your grilled cheese, a more pliable bread will work better than a sturdier bread.
- Best Cheeses: Melty cheeses are best like American or yellow cheddar (classic) or Fontina, Brie, Gruyere, Provolone, Havarti, any jack cheese, Manchego or Gouda (for fancier grown-up grilled cheese).
- Optional additional fillings:
- spreads: yellow mustard, Dijon, fig jam, marmalade, olive tepanade
- herbs: minced chives, basil, tarragon
- fillers: thin apple slices, peaches, chopped olives, pickles, sundried tomatoes, capers
- meats: ham, bacon
- veggies: sauteed mushrooms, caramelized onions, roasted red peppers
- Make Ahead: Everything except for the last step of melting the cheese can be prepped ahead.
Calories: 375kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 597mg | Potassium: 139mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 629IU | Calcium: 350mg | Iron: 2mg