Ricotta Pancakes with Caramelized Bananas
Up your brunch game with these moist, fluffy ricotta pancakes with a 3-ingredient caramelized banana topping that takes them over the top.
Servings (change as needed): 16 pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (214 g)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or less if using salted butter)
- 1 cup milk, any kind (I use 2%)
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese, Note 1 low fat is fine too
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 banana, mashed (optional) pancakes will be a bit denser but full of banana flavor.
Caramelized Banana Ingredients
- 2 small bananas, 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup maple syrup or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
PREHEAT OVEN TO WARM (160-200F) to keep pancakes warm as you make batches. If using a griddle, PREHEAT it to medium high. (If using a pan, you'll be cooking on medium heat)
MIX DRY INGREDIENTS - flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt - in a larger bowl.
MIX WET INGREDIENTS - milk, ricotta, eggs, vanilla, melted butter - in a separate bowl - until well blended. Mix in mashed banana if using.
MAKE BATTER: Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and whisk until just combined. A few lumps are good. Don't over mix.
MAKE PANCAKES: Heat a skillet or non stick pan to Medium (if not using griddle). Spray pan with oil or melt a tsp butter in pan. Use a 1/4 cup/59 ml. measuring cup to ladle pancakes onto pan. You will have to do this in batches depending on the size of your pan. Cook for about 3 minutes or until bubbles start to appear on surface. Flip over with spatula and cook another 2-3 minutes. Transfer to plate and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining batter.
MAKE CARAMELIZED BANANAS: While pancakes are cooking, heat butter and syrup on medium until bubbly. Add cinnamon if using. Stir in sliced bananas and warm through for 1 minute. Spoon onto pancakes.
Nutrition values are estimates based on one pancake (not including mashed banana) with caramelized banana topping.
- Ricotta cheese substitutes: ricotta cheese should be easy to find, but here are some alternatives if you need: cottage cheese (blend it before adding it to the pancake mixture), cream cheese and Greek yogurt. These substitutes might change the texture and flavor a bit, but they will still add extra moisture and creaminess.
- Variations for pancakes:
- Caramelized bananas: Try adding toasted pecans, walnuts or macadamia nuts. And/or a pinch or cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Pancakes: Add a mashed banana for extra banana flavor.
- For a savory version: Omit the sugar and vanilla and add about 1 cup/170 grams of cooked, finely chopped onions and vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, etc. Great for toddlers - hidden veggies!
- Make Ahead
- Make the batter the night before and keep it covered in the fridge.
- Make the pancakes and keep them in the fridge in a sealed container or bag for a couple of days. Reheat in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds.
- To freeze, cool pancakes first. Either layer them between parchment and place in a sealed container or flash freeze them on a flat tray for 20-30 minutes, then pile them into a sealed bag or container. Freeze them for up to 2 months. Reheat uncovered in microwave for 30-50 seconds (or in a 375F/195C oven, covered, for 6-8 minutes).
Calories: 145kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 214mg | Potassium: 132mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 187IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 1mg