Chinese Vegetable Fried Rice
Packed with veggies, this Chinese vegetable fried rice is healthier and more delicious than the restaurant take-out version. A great way to use up leftover rice and whatever veggies you have hanging around in the fridge.
Servings (change as needed): 4 (or 6 if adding extras)
main ingredients (see Note 2 for shortcuts)
- 2 tablespoon oil, divided canola, peanut, vegetable
- 2 eggs
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 cups (600g) chopped vegetables, Note 1
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 3 cups (525g) cold, cooked white rice (long grain, Basmati, Jasmine)
- 2 cups (60 g) fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped, optional
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) soy sauce (or more to taste) light is fine
- 2 teaspoon (15 ml) toasted sesame oil (or more to taste)
- Optional seasonings- Note 2
- 1 cup (8 oz, 248 g) crumbled or cubed tofu
- 2 cups (280 g) chopped, cooked meat e.g. chicken, pork, beef, ham, sausage
- additional chopped green onions
FRY EGGS: Heat a non stick large skillet or wok to medium high. Add 1 tsp oil. Crack in two eggs and use a spatula or wooden spoon to flatten it out and stir it around. Break into small pieces as it cooks for 1 minute. Set aside in a medium bowl.
FRY VEGGIES: In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium high. Add chopped veggies. Stir fry for 6-10 minutes just until tender. The time will depend on how small you cut the veggies. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Set aside with eggs in bowl.
FRY RICE: Heat remaining oil to pan (about 1 tbsp). Add cold rice and stir around for 3-4 minutes until softened and warmed through.
PULL IT ALL TOGETHER FOR THE FINISH: Add eggs, veggies, baby spinach and seasonings to rice (and any other extras you like). Stir to combine and warm through for 2-3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. (Here's where I often add a tbsp BBQ or oyster sauce). Garnish with chopped green onions if desired and serve straight from the pan or in a serving bowl.
Nutrition values are estimates and do not include optional extras.
- Vegetables: Almost anything will do. Good options are peppers, mushrooms, onions, celery, carrots, boy choy, cabbage, bean sprouts, peas, corn, green beans, green onion, edamame, snap peas, cauliflower, spinach.
- Frozen vegetables - If you don't feel like chopping or need extra vegetables, you can add frozen vegetables (no need to defrost).
- Chop veggies in processor - Pulse veggies a couple of times in a food processor instead of chopping them by hand. You're aiming for 1/4-1/2 inch (~1 cm). You might need to do this in two batches.
- Garlic - use frozen cubes of garlic or minced/chopped garlic in a jar.
- Rice - use leftover rice from your last takeout (rice freezes perfectly) or buy cooked rice from a restaurant or grocery store freezer section.
- Optional extra seasonings: 1 tbsp or more oyster sauce, 1 tsp or more sriracha (for heat), 1 tbsp BBQ sauce, 2 tsp rice wine or mirin, salt and pepper to taste.
- Make it your own: There is no problem using more veggies, less rice, more rice, more sesame oil, more soy, no eggs, more eggs, etc. The trick is tasting and adjusting to the way you like your fried rice. Or adding the ingredients that will achieve the nutritional content you are targeting.
- Make ahead (3 options):
- Advance prep: I do this one often. Earlier in the day or even a day or two ahead, chop all your veggies and store them in the fridge in a sealed container or bag. And cook the rice ahead.
- Day ahead for rewarming: Make the full recipe, keep it in the fridge, then warm it on the stovetop or microwave. Add a few tablespoons of water or broth so the rice doesn't dry out.
- Freeze it: Place the finished rice dish in a casserole dish or zipper bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat (with a few tablespoon of water), covered in the 350F oven for about 30 minutes. Or in the microwave for 5-7 minutes, stirring once or twice in between.
Calories: 395kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 634mg | Potassium: 577mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 10827IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 3mg