Root Vegetable Mash
Change it up a bit with this yummy root vegetable mash. Same creamy, fluffiness as mashed potatoes, but made with your favorite root veggies, including potatoes. Beautiful colors and extra nutrients.
Servings (change as needed): 6
- 2 ½ pounds root vegetables, Note 1
- 3 tablespoon butter (or 4 for extra richness)
- ¼ cup milk or cream (plus extra if needed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: 2 green onions chopped
- optional: 2-3 cups roughly chopped baby spinach
CUT ROOT VEGETABLES into roughly the same size - about 1 - 1 ½ inches. If using carrots, slice them thinner as they take longer to cook.
BOIL VEGETABLES: Place vegetables in a medium-large pot. Add enough water to cover veggies by 1 inch (2.5 cm). Add 2-3 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil. Lower to medium and gently boil for 15-18 minutes or until soft and easily pierced with a fork. Drain vegetables in a colander and return to the pot.
DRY AND MASH: On medium heat, shake cooked vegetables to dry them out for 1 minute. Add spinach and green onions if using as well as butter and milk/cream. Mash with a fork to get the consistency you like. Do not use a food processor or immersion blender to mash veggies. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve.
Nutrition Values are estimates and include the optional spinach and green onions.
- Root Vegetables - Use two or more – white potatoes (I like Yukon/yellow potatoes best), sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga (swede), celery root (celeriac). Not a root vegetable, but you can also try pumpkin or butternut squash.
- Portions: Figure about ½ – ¾ cup (125-250g) root vegetable mash per person. You will need about 1 pound (0.45kg) root vegetables to make 2 cups mash or 3-4 servings.
- Make Ahead: To keep the mashed vegetables warm:
- Make them an hour ahead and keep them in the pot on a warming ring, covered, on your stove (if you have one) for an hour.
- Or put the bowl of mash, covered, over a pot of simmering water.
Calories: 202kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 470mg | Potassium: 789mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1171IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 1mg