Baby Cauliflower Recipe (roasted)
You have to try this new baby cauliflower. It's sweet, delicate, tender and delicious - kind of a cross between cauliflower and broccoli. We're roasting it in this recipe, but you can cook it so many different ways. It's slowly coming into mainstream stores so grab some if you can find it.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 1 large baby cauliflower, about 2 lbs/0.9kg also called Fioretto, Stick, Flowering, Biancoli, Karifurore, Sweet Sprouting, Chinese cauliflower
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (extra-virgin olive oil or neutral)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- zest from 1 lemon (optional but great)
- Parmesan cheese, toasted crushed nuts or pine nuts, red pepper sauce, herb sauce, pesto, pea sprouts, balsamic reduction, chopped strawberries.
SET OVEN TEMPERATURE TO 425F/218C. Spray large rimmed baking sheet with oil. Or, for easy clean up, line large pan with parchment (or foil sprayed with oil).
PREPARE BABY CAULIFLOWER: Cut 2 inches/5cm off thick bottom stem. Cut the rest of cauliflower into small pieces, leaving on small stems. Toss with oil, salt and pepper (and garlic powder if using). Place cauliflower in single layer in pan. Do not overcrowd the pan or the cauliflower will steam.
ROAST for 15 minutes in preheated oven until flower tips become golden brown and cauliflower is fork tender. Transfer to plate or bowl and sprinkle with lemon zest and/or other garnishes if desired Note 1. Serve immediately.
- Tailor to Your Taste
- Seasonings: Try adding curry powder, Parmesan cheese, or red chili flakes for heat.
- Drizzles: Try balsamic reduction, Japanese salad dressing, basil pesto, herb sauce or red pepper sauce.
- Garnishes: If you like lemon, a sprinkle of lemon zest or squeeze of lemon juice after roasting is a wonderful flavor booster. Other good options are fresh herbs, pine nuts (or other toasted chopped nuts), green onions, pea sprouts, chopped tomatoes or strawberries (for color).
- Make Ahead
Nutrition values are estimates and do not include optional garnishes or toppings.
- Complete the recipe and let it sit on counter until needed. When ready to use, warm the cauliflower in a hot oven for 5 minutes. Or, transfer to a dish after roasting, then warm it in microwave for 1 minute when ready to use.
- Alternatively, the baby cauliflower can be served at room temperature or even cold.
Calories: 129kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 625mg | Potassium: 430mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin C: 69mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg