Fried Potatoes and Onions (20 Minutes)
Fried potatoes and onions - also known as home fried potatoes - is a quick and easy recipe with a couple of tricks. Crispy golden outsides, creamy insides and a mild onion flavor. Fuss-free and delicious.
Servings (change as needed): 3
- 1 pound (450g) potatoes, Note 1 3-4 potatoes
- 3 tablespoon oil, Note 2 neutral olive oil or vegetable oil with a higher smoke point (you can also use half butter, half oil)
- 1/2 cup (52g) chopped green onions 4-5 green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste)
PREPARE AND PRE-COOK POTATOES: Pierce each potato once or twice with a sharp knife. Cook in microwave on High for 6-8 minutes until tender and a knife can easily slide into potato. If potatoes are large, this might take an extra few minutes. Transfer to cutting board and cut potatoes into 1 inch (2.5cm) cubes.
PAN FRY POTATOES: Heat oil in large skillet to medium-high heat. Add diced potatoes and fry undisturbed for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with half of salt and pepper. Flip potatoes and fry on second side for another 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until golden brown with a crispy crust. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Timing is approximate and will depend on how well your pan conducts heat and how brown you like your potatoes.
ADD ONIONS TO FINISH: Add chopped green onions. Stir for 1 minute. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve immediately.
Nutrition values are estimates.
- Which kind of potatoes to use: Yukon gold, white, red potatoes, new potatoes. Russets are also ok, but may fall apart more. If using new potatoes, place in microwave safe dish to microwave them for about 4 minutes.
- Cooking oils - here's an article on cooking oils that explains which oils are best to use for which purposes.
- Make Ahead:
- Pre-cook the potatoes in the microwave and cube them several hours or even a day ahead (store them in the fridge)
- Or, make the full recipe (without onions). Turn off the heat and let the potatoes sit on the stove until you need them. Just before serving, rewarm the potatoes in the skillet and add green onions in the last minute.
- The dish can also be rewarmed in a 400F/204C oven.
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 399mg | Potassium: 685mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 170IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg