Sous Vide Flank Steak
Tender, succulent, flavourful meat cooked to perfection and drizzled with a rich, velvety sauce is guaranteed with Sous Vided Flank Steak. Impress your guests!
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 1 1/4 pounds flank steak about 1/2-1 inch thick
- salt and pepper
Marinade and Glaze
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (good quality)
- 1 tablespoon grainy old fashioned mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
HEAT THE WATER IN SOUS VIDE MACHINE: For this recipe, I used a Sous Vide Supreme machine. Fill the sous vide machine/vessel about 3/4 full with water. Set the temperature to 132F for medium rare (or according to your machine guidelines). The water will take about 15 minutes to reach the correct temperature (or less if you start with warm water).
MAKE MARINADE/GLAZE: Put all marinade/glaze ingredients in a small saucepan. Stir to combine. Pour half the marinade into a seal-able ziploc bag. Leave the other half in the saucepan to make the glaze.
MARINATE FLANK STEAK: Sprinkle the flank steak with salt and pepper. Poke it all over with a small sharp knife to let the marinade seep in. Place in bag with marinade. Seal bag and massage bag to spread marinade all over meat. Let meat marinate for 4 -6 hours (or up to 24 hours) if you have time.
VACUUM SEAL MEAT: Cut flank steak in half if too large for one vacuum seal bag. (Alternatively, use one large ziploc bag and use water displacement method to submerge in sous vide). Fold over a flap on 1 (or 2) vacuum seal bags. Remove flank steak from marinade and pat lightly with paper towel to remove excess moisture. Place in vacuum seal bag. Unfold flap and seal bag(s) with vacuum sealer.
SOUS VIDE FLANK STEAK: Plunge bag(s) into pre-heated water bath. They will sink to the bottom. Cover machine (if applicable). Cook in bath for 1 1/2 hours if flank steak is 1/2 inch thick. If meat is thicker, cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
FINISH GLAZE: While meat is in sous vide bath, bring reserved marinade in saucepan to a boil, lower heat to medium and cook until reduce and slightly thickened. It should coat the back of a spoon.
FINISH FLANK: To GRILL: Heat grill to high 10 minutes before flank is done. Remove meat from from sealed bag. Pat dry with paper towel. Spray with oil, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, grill for 1 minute per side. To FLASH FRY: Alternatively, heat 1-2 teaspoons oil in skillet to medium high flash fry for one minute per side to brown the exterior. Slice meat thinly across the grain on a diagonal, then drizzle on glaze.
- You can make the glaze and sous vide the flank steak a few days ahead. Once sous vide is complete, plunge the bag with the meat into an ice water bath to cool completely (about 20-30 minutes if meat is not too thick) and refrigerate.
- Because flank steak is fairly thin, you can then directly grill (or sear) the steak for a couple of minutes per side, glazing the steak or drizzling the steak once sliced. Do not put the flank steak in the fridge directly from the sous vide water bath.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 332kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 267mg | Potassium: 501mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 3mg