Sous Vide Short Ribs (Boneless Beef)
If you own a sous vide machine or are planning to get one, do not miss these boneless beef Sous Vide Short Ribs. Beyond easy and mouth watering! Definitely worth the 48 hours they take to cook.
Servings (change as needed): 6
- 3.5 pound boneless beef short ribs, about 1 inch thick (I used Certified Angus Beef. Choice or Prime are excellent cuts too)
- seasonings (salt, pepper)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (optional) or a bit of hot sauce
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
PREPARE THE SOUS VIDE BATH: Fill water in the sous vide machine as per manufacturers instructions (not too high). I use hot tap water to make the heating up go faster. Set the temperature to 135F/57.2 (for medium to medium-rare) and allow water to heat to that temperature.
PREPARE THE BEEF SHORT RIBS: Generously season both sides of the boneless ribs with salt and pepper. Fold back top of sous vide bags about an inch to create a flap (this ensures no food touches the top of the bag where it gets sealed). Insert up to 3 boneless ribs per bag, ensuring no overlap. Unfold the flap and vacuum seal the bag using a vacuum sealer. Note 1.
COOK THE BONELESS BEEF RIBS SOUS VIDE: When the temperature of the sous vide machine reaches 135F/57.2C, submerge the vacuum sealed bags with the boneless ribs into the water. Cover and cook for 48 hours (that's right, 48 hours, give or take an hour or two).
MAKE THE BBQ SAUCE: Add all BBQ sauce ingredients into a small saucepan and heat to medium low. Stir to combine and simmer for 2-3 minutes. (can be made several days ahead). Alternatively, use your favorite bottled BBQ sauce.
FINISH THE RIBS: Remove the boneless beef ribs from the bags and pat dry with paper towels. Discard accumulated juices from the bags. Brush ribs generously with sauce on both sides. TO GRILL: Heat grill to high. Lightly spray ribs with oil to avoid sticking to grill. Grill ribs for 1-2 minutes per side until you see grill marks or until sauce is bubbly and ribs are nicely glazed. TO BROIL: Broil close to the heat for 1-2 minutes per side until bubbly and nicely glazed. Serve with remaining sauce. Ribs are great served with mashed potatoes.
Nutrition values are estimates.
- To seal using zipper lock bag: Place boneless ribs in ziploc bag and zip up part way only. When water reaches correct temperature, slowly lower bag into water. This will push air out (water displacement method). When top of bag is just above water line, zip it shut. Submerge bag. Close lid if using a oven/box-type sous vide machine.
- Make Ahead: Cook the boneless beef ribs for 48 hours and make the BBQ sauce several days or more ahead. Just before serving, slather the ribs with the sauce and broil or grill them for a minute or so on each side.
Calories: 556kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 156mg | Sodium: 885mg | Potassium: 1213mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 610IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 7mg