Caprese Appetizers (on mini skewers)
We amp up the flavor of these adorable and tasty mini caprese appetizers with a marinade and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Servings (change as needed): 40 mini caprese skewers
- 20 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved, Note 1 (gently squeeze out juices)
- 20 mini bocconcini cheese balls, cut in half (or cut 40 1/2-inch cubes from fresh mozzarella balls)
- 20 fresh basil leaves, cut in half or quarters (or cut large leaves into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1/3 cup Italian or vinaigrette dressing (Note 2)
- balsamic glaze for drizzle (Note 3)
- optional: sea salt to sprinkle on before serving
MARINATE CHEESE: Mix cheese and Italian dressing and let marinate for 30 minutes or overnight. This is optional to add some extra flavor (Note 1 to make your own vinaigrette). OR skip marinating time and just coat the cheese in the vinaigrette.
ASSEMBLE CAPRESE SKEWERS: For each skewer, set half tomato on board/plate (cut side down). Pierce tomato through the top with the end of the toothpick. Place basil leaf on top. Then add cube of cheese coated in vinaigrette. (Make ahead: Note 4)
PRESENTATION: Drizzle balsamic glaze (Note 2) in any zigzag pattern on a platter or cutting board just before serving. Place skewers on top. Serve.
Nutrition values are estimates.
- Cherry tomatoes - you can leave the tomatoes whole instead, but the appetizers won't stand up on a platter. Lying them down is ok too :)
- To make your own vinaigrette, whisk together 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon Dijon or grainy mustard, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and black pepper to taste. Add a pinch of dried or fresh herbs if desired.
- To make your own Balsamic reduction/glaze, bring to boil 1 cup of Balsamic vinegar and 1-2 tablespoons honey in a small saucepan on medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes to a syrupy consistency, stirring occasionally (it will coat back of spoon). Cool to room temperature.
- To make appetizers ahead: After Caprese appetizers are assembled on toothpicks, they can be put in fridge, covered with plastic wrap, for a few hours or up to a day. Drizzle Balsamic reduction on cutting board or serving platter and place skewers on top of it just before serving.
Calories: 46kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 11mg | Potassium: 20mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 63IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 1mg