Best Caramel Popcorn Recipe
No, you can't just eat a handful. This homemade caramel popcorn recipe is addictive! Crunchy popcorn and nuts with a mouth-watering buttery salted caramel coating. Perfect for gifts, picnics & parties.
Servings (change as needed): 9 cups
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels (to make about 8 cups popcorn))
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 2 cups pecans, cashews, peanuts and/or almonds
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- sea salt (about 1/2 teaspoon)
Preheat oven to 250F/121C
MAKE POPCORN: Put 3 kernels and 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot with a lid. Heat to medium. When kernels pop, add rest of the kernels. Shake to cover them in oil. Cover pot and let kernels pop. When popping slows, remove from heat and empty popcorn into a large bowl. You should have 8-9 cups. Add nuts. Prepare two baking pans lined with parchment paper. See NOTE 1 for shortcut.
MAKE THE CARAMEL SAUCE: Bring sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt to a boil, stirring to blend. Leave mixture to boil for 5 more minutes without stirring. Remove from heat. Add baking soda and vanilla (be careful, it will foam and bubble up). Stir until well blended.
STIR AND BAKE: Pour caramel sauce over popcorn and mix well until popcorn is evenly coated. Divide popcorn onto two baking pans. Spread it out evenly. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 1 hour, stirring 2-3 times to break up clumps and coat popcorn well with caramel. Remove from oven and let cool completely. If desired, form tennis-size balls while the popcorn is slightly warm.
Nutrition values are estimates for 1 cup of caramel popcorn.
- Shortcut for popcorn: You can buy plain popcorn (nothing added) at your local popcorn kiosk. You will need about 8 cups. I do this all the time. I don't suggest you use microwave popcorn because of the additives, but you can in a pinch.
- To store: When popcorn is cooled, store on the counter in an airtight container or ziploc freezer bags for up to a week.
Calories: 413kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 644mg | Potassium: 143mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 39g | Vitamin A: 327IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1mg