Microwave Brownie Recipe in 8 Minutes
Company dropping by in 10 minutes? Craving something sweet pronto? Or need a quick potluck dessert? This chocolate-y, moist, fudgy microwave brownie recipe will do the trick.
Servings (change as needed): 16 brownies (or 12 larger ones)
- 2 ounce (40g) unsweetened dark chocolate Note 1
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter (1 stick)
- 3/4 cup (170g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (96g) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt if using unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (53g) semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (recommended) makes brownies extra fudgy
- 1/2 cup (75g) chopped walnuts
Instructions are for a 1200 watt microwave oven. Adjust accordingly - see Note 2.
MELT CHOCOLATE AND BUTTER: Microwave butter and chocolate for 1 1/2 minutes on High in a measuring cup or bowl. Stir until melted and smooth.
MAKE BATTER: In a separate bowl, use a fork or whisk to mix sugar and eggs together. Add flour, vanilla, baking powder, salt if using and mix to combine. Stir in chocolate-butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chips or nuts if using.
MICROWAVE TO COOK: Pour batter in a microwaveable dish - approximately 8 x 8 x 2 -sprayed with oil. Place a small plate or saucer upside down on the microwave turntable/floor. Then place dish on top of the inverted plate. Microwave for 3 minutes 10 seconds to 3 minutes 30 seconds. Note 2. If microwave turntable doesn't turn automatically, stop and turn the dish once or twice, then continue cooking. Don't over bake. You can always add more time if needed. How to tell if brownies are done, Note 3.
SERVE: Let brownies cool for 10 minutes. Serve semi warm if desired with ice cream, berries, whipped cream or dusted icing/confectioner sugar.
Nutrition values include chocolate chips but not the optional nuts.
- Type of chocolate to use: You need unsweetened chocolate for this recipe which is a type of dark chocolate. Also called bitter chocolate, cooking chocolate or baking chocolate. Examples of brands are Baker's, Ghiradelli, Hershey's
- Microwave timing for brownies: Timing will depend on the power/wattage of your microwave. These times are approximate. You might have to experiment a bit based on how you like your brownies - fudgy (less time), cake-y (more time).
- 1200 watts - 3 1/2 minutes
- 1100 watts - 4 minutes
- 1000 watts - 4 1/2 - 5 minutes
- How to tell if microwave brownies are done: Brownies are cooked if top has no raw spots and cake tester comes out almost clean. Slightly wet in the middle is OK. They will continue to set when cooling. I like to under bake brownies a little for a chewier, fudgier brownie. Add 20-30 seconds (a little at a time) if you like them more cake-y.
- Substitutions: Use 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa instead of chocolate. Use 1/2 cup oil instead if butter
- Make Ahead: These brownies keep well on the counter, in a sealed container, for several days. Or freeze them for up to 3 months.
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 81mg | Potassium: 79mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 207IU | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg