Easy Lettuce Wraps Recipe with Dumplings
Plump dumplings are the main filling in this easy lettuce wraps recipe which is a snap to make in just 20 minutes. Garnish them with peanut sauce, crushed nuts and cilantro for a yummy, versatile appetizer or light main dish.
Servings (change as needed): 4 lettuce wraps
- 10 small frozen or fresh dumplings or pot stickers (or 6-8 larger ones)
- oil (if pan frying dumplings)
- 4 lettuce (Boston Bibb, butter, iceberg)
- Garnishes (choose 2-3): e.g. 1/4 cup toasted crushed cashews or peanuts; 1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, shredded carrots and/or minced green onions; radishes, water chestnuts, lemon/lime slices
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter
- 3 tablespoon warm water
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- lemon or lime juice to taste (1-2 tsp)
- sriracha hot sauce to taste (optional)
PREPARE LETTUCE AND GARNISHES. To toast nuts, shake in dry pan over medium heat until light brown and toasted, about 5 minutes. Transfer to cutting board and roughly chop.
COOK FROZEN DUMPLINGS: Cook dumplings (or potstickers) according to package directions. You can boil (4-5 minutes) or pan fry in a large skillet (about 10 minutes). Set aside.
MAKE PEANUT SAUCE: Whisk together all ingredients for peanut sauce in a medium bowl until creamy smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings and level of heat (if you like a spicy peanut sauce, add more of the hot sauce, or you can add less if you want it milder). This can be made ahead.
ASSEMBLE AND SERVE: Cut dumplings in half or thirds (or keep whole if preferred). Place equivalent of 4-5 halves small dumplings in each lettuce leaf. Drizzle on peanut sauce. Sprinkle with garnishes (carrots, green onion, nuts, and/or cilantro). Serve on cutting board, platter or individual plates. Pass lime/lemon slices to squeeze on top if desired.
- Dumplings: Use any kind of dumpling, pot sticker or won ton you like or have on hand. Pan fry or boil them as you prefer.
- Lettuce: Use Boston Bibb, iceberg, little gem or butter lettuce. Or try savoy cabbage (as pictured), but if you prefer a softer wrap, use lettuce.
- Garnish: used nuts, lemon, carrots and cilantro as garnishes. Other options are: bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, pea shoots, chopped cucumber or radish. Instead of cashews, try toasted pine nuts, peanuts or sesame seeds.
- Peanut sauce: Instead of peanut sauce, drizzle with a soy-based mixture - 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, pinch of fresh ginger and a minced green onion.
- Make Ahead: Dumplings can be made ahead and kept covered in the fridge for several hours, adding a few drops of oil to prevent sticking to each other. Warm them in the microwave on High for a minute or so before assembling. Peanut sauce and garnishes can also be prepared ahead.
Calories: 237kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 378mg | Potassium: 211mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1350IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2mg