Fresh Vegetable Pasta
This is one of my favorite non-meat meals. Its a light, healthy, zesty, fresh vegetable pasta dish and perfect for spring (or any time for that matter).
Servings (change as needed): 4 (or 3 larger portions)
- 8 oz spaghettini or other pasta (225 grams) assumes moderate 2 oz per person
- 1/4 cup Optional garnishes: chopped parsley, fresh chopped basil, grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cup vegetables, diced 1-2 inches (e.g. onion, zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, eggplant)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (3 tsp)
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped (or 1 can 375 ml diced tomatoes, drained - about 1 cup)
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1/2 cup olives, chopped or 3 tablespoons olive tepanade (optional)
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes (or to taste)
- 1 lemon (2 tsp zest, juice from 1/2 lemon)
- 4 cup fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
BEGIN SAUCE: Heat a large saucepan to medium high. Add olive oil. Add chopped vegetables and saute about 8 minutes until tender. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic, olives (if using), capers, lemon juice, tomatoes and chili flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for another 3-5 minutes.
COOK PASTA: While sauteing vegetables, bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions Drain, RESERVING 1 cup of the pasta liquid. Put spaghetti back in the warm pot. Add 1/4 cup of the liquid and cover. Set aside.
FINISH PASTA: Add spinach to vegetable mixture. Stir until wilted, about 1 minute. Add lemon zest. Add cooked pasta to vegetable mixture and stir to combine well. Add pasta water a little at a time to get the consistency you like. Taste and adjust seasonings including salt and pepper if needed.
SERVE: Transfer to a serving platter or serve straight from the pan. Add a drizzle of olive oil if desired as well as the garnishes you like. Pass extra Parmesan.
Vegetables: If using vegetables that cook very quickly such as asparagus, zucchini or snow peas, add them toward the end of sauteing the vegetables to avoid over cooking.
Nutrition Values do not contain garnishes like Parmesan cheese.
Calories: 472kcal | Carbohydrates: 80g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 461mg | Potassium: 1004mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 15274IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 4mg