Oven Roasted Vegetable Recipe
This oven roasted vegetables recipe is simple comfort food. Sweet potatoes, peppers, eggplant, apples and rosemary create a delicious side dish. Not to mention healthy and colorful. And never mind that an apple is not a vegetable. It works perfectly.
Servings (change as needed): 4 (or 3 large servings)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces (1 1/2-2 inches)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and core removed, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large apple, cored and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, peeled, cut into pieces (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or 2 tsp fresh chopped)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley or chives
Preheat over to 425F/218C. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray well with oil. Use 2 pans if needed.
PREPARE VEGETABLES/APPLES: In a large bowl, add oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. Add sweet potatoes, onion, peppers, eggplant and apples to the bowl and toss to coat well. Spoon onto the pan in a single layer. If you have too much for a single layer, use two pans.
ROAST: Roast for 20 minutes. Turn veggies over. Increase heat to 450F/232C. Roast another 10-15 minutes until slightly browned and caramelized. Sprinkle with fresh herbs like parsley or chives if desired. Taste and sprinkle with sea salt if needed. Serve immediately.
Nutritional values are estimates depending on size and type of vegetables used.
- Substitutes: You can substitute one or more of the veggies in the recipe with different types of vegetables like white potatoes, red onion, parsnips, carrots, cubed butternut squash, green beans, brussels sprouts. Or just leave out one or two of the veggies and add more of another veggie.
- To make ahead:
- A day ahead: Follow directions above. Cool and refrigerate for up to a day in an airtight container. To reheat, spread on foil lined pan sprayed with oil. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Reheat at 425F/218C for about 15-20 minutes.
- A few hours ahead: If you are making these ahead that night for company, you can roast the vegetables a few hours a head for 10 minutes less time, then pop them in the oven again before serving for 10-15 minutes.
Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 649mg | Potassium: 795mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 17014IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 1mg