Sous Vide Pork Chops with apple chutney
You will not believe how moist and tender these sous vide pork chops are. Pair them with tangy-sweet apple chutney for amazing flavor and a knock-out presentation.
Servings (change as needed): 2
- 2 bone-in rib pork chops, 1- 1.5 inches/2.5- 3.8 cm thick (or bone-in or boneless pork loin chops).
- 2 teaspoons canola or vegetable oil for pan frying
Seasoning for Pork
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH, kosher salt and ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon EACH, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder
For Apple Chutney Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups (500 grams) apples, diced 1/4-1/2 inch (Note 1) skins on
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries (or raisins)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) juices from sous vide bag (or water)
- pinch, nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
HEAT SOUS VIDE WATER BATH: Heat sous vide water to desired temperature: °140F-142F/60-61C for slightly pink, tender, moist (my preference) °130-135F/54.4-57C for pinkish-red, soft, moist, juicy. °145-150F/62.8-55.6C for firmer, no pink.
PREPARE PORK CHOPS FOR SOUS VIDE AND COOK: Season chops generously with salt, pepper, coriander, garlic powder and chili powder. For water displacement method, place pork chops in plastic bag (like ziplock bag) in single layer and zip up part way only. When water reaches correct temperature, slowly lower bag into sous vide bath. This will push air out. When top of the bag is just above water line, zip it shut. Submerge bag. It should sink. (Alternatively, vacuum seal chops in vacuum bags and plunge into water). If you are using a sous vide self contained 'oven', put on lid. Cook for 1 hour minimum and 4 hours maximum. I find 2-3 hours best for thicker chops. Remove pork chops from bag and pat dry well with paper towels. Reserve 1/4 cup/59 ml juices from bag for chutney if desired.
MAKE APPLE CHUTNEY: While pork chops are cooking, heat a skillet or pan to medium-high heat and melt the butter. Add apples and sauté for 3-4 minutes until starting to brown. Add rest of chutney ingredients. Bring to boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes until apples are tender.
SEAR PORK CHOPS and SERVE: Two options. To pan fry: Heat heavy skillet or cast iron pan to medium-high heat (8/10). Add oil and heat to almost smoking. Sear chops in hot pan on both sides plus the fat edge for about 45 seconds each. To grill: Heat grill to high. Spray chops with oil. Grill on all sides for about 1 1/2 minutes total. Transfer pork chops to a plate and spoon over apple chutney. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Values are estimates and will depend on a number of factors including how large the pork chops are, how much salt you use to your taste, etc.
- Best apples to use for chutney: Empire, Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Gala.
- Seasonings: Use whatever seasonings you like for the pork chops including a store-bought dry rub.
- Apple chutney:
- Add some heat to the chutney with chili pepper flakes. Substitute pears for the apples, cooking them for less time.
- Instead of apple chutney, try some preserves mixed with a bit of water and balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar. Heat for a few minutes with a pinch of salt, pepper and thyme. Or try our peach chutney or cranberry-orange relish.
- Make ahead
- The chops can sit in the sous vide bath for up to 4 hours. They won't overcook!
- To make 1-2 days before, cook chops sous vide, cool, then store in the fridge (in the bag). Reheat in a 130F/54C water bath for 40 minutes. If making the apple chutney ahead, warm in microwave. To cook the chops quickly, plunge them into an ice bath for 10 minutes after cooking sous vide.
- To freeze, cool chops and place in bag in freezer. I discard much of the juices first. Reheat as above.
Calories: 818kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 71g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 250mg | Sodium: 1417mg | Potassium: 1350mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 265IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 2mg