Red Lentil Soup Recipe With Vegetables
This red lentil soup recipe with vegetables is a healthy, hearty, satisfying meal in a bowl. Perfect for a weeknight meal served with crusty bread.
Servings (change as needed): 5
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 potato, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin or curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: pinch of cayenne, chili powder and/or coriander seed
- 4 cups (946ml) vegetable stock, broth or chicken broth (1 box)
- 1 cup (237m) water
- 1 cup (200g) red lentils
- 1/2 large lemon (lemon zest and juice)
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
PREPARE THE VEGETABLES: Dice carrots, onion, celery, potato. Shortcut: Cut vegetables into large chunks, put in food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.
SAUTE VEGETABLES, GARLIC: In a medium-large or large pot, heat oil to medium-high heat. Add vegetables and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and sauté another minute.
ADD SEASONINGS AND OTHER INGREDIENTS: Add tomato paste, cumin or curry powder, salt and pepper (and optional seasonings if using). Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in broth, water and lentils.
COOK: Bring the soup to a boil. Lower to medium heat or medium-low heat to simmer. Cover pot partially and cook for 30 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
FINISH THE SOUP AND SERVE: Add lemon juice, lemon zest and parsley (or cilantro). Taste and adjust seasonings adding additional salt if needed. Serve with a drizzle of good olive oil on top and additional lemon wedges if desired.
- Substitute cilantro for the parsley. Here's a quick 101 on Herbs: The Bare Essentials.
- Use a cup of diced tomatoes (no juice) instead of tomato paste
- Use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth
- Add 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Alter the seasonings to your taste
- Add more broth to make it a thinner soup
- Puree all or part of the soup with an immersion blender
- Omit the lemon
- Red lentil and vegetable soup can be frozen for a couple of months in an airtight container. We like to freeze it in smaller lunch-size portions.
Calories: 273kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1074mg | Potassium: 773mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6879IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 5mg