Vegetarian Sweet Potato Hash
This quick Vegetarian Sweet Potato Hash recipe with onions, garlic, peppers and smoked paprika is a delicious side, main, breakfast item or filling.
Servings (change as needed): 2
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onions (or red onion) (1/2 onion)
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced (or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (or less), Note
- 1 green onion, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or chives
PRECOOK SWEET POTATO: (quick version). Pierce the potato in a few places. Microwave for about 4 to 4 1/2 minutes until fairly tender but not too soft (it should still have enough firmness for easy cutting). Peel off skin with a small knife (or your fingers) or leave it on if preferred. Cut the sweet potato into cubes, about 1 inch/2.5 cm. Note 1 for alternative pre-cooking methods
SAUTÉ VEGETABLES: Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add onions, peppers, garlic. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until soft and slightly browned. Spoon vegetable mixture into a bowl.
SAUTÉ SWEET POTATO: Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to skillet on medium high heat. Add pre-cooked sweet potato cubes in a single layer. Sauté for a few minutes undisturbed until browned on one side. Stir and sauté for a couple more minutes until browned on all sides.
FINISH THE HASH: Add smoked paprika and stir. Add vegetable mixture, green onions and parsley. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Stir gently. Serve immediately.
Nutrition values are estimates.
- Other options to pre-cook sweet potatoes:
- Boil: Peel and cut the potato into cubes. Boil in salted water for about 5 minutes until tender. Drain and dry well on paper towels.
- Roast: Peel and cut the potato into cubes. Lay on foil-lined pan sprayed with oil. Roast at 400F for about 20 minutes until tender.
- Vegetarian add-ins
- rinsed, canned black beans
- tofu scramble
- firm tofu cubes
- other vegetables like mushrooms, celery, fresh baby spinach, kale, corn.
- an egg yolk or fried egg served on top of the hash as a great breakfast skillets recipe
- substitute the sweet potatoes with white potatoes if you prefer (or do a mix of both)
- Flavor options
- Instead of smoked paprika, play around with the seasonings
- Add cumin or coriander and perhaps some heat with chili flakes, red pepper flakes, chili powder or hot sauce.
- Try Mexican flavors with taco seasoning
- Or Italian flavors with Italian seasoning or basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and marjoram.
- Instead of parsley, try other fresh herbs like cilantro or oregano
- Non-vegetarian add-ins
- cooked crispy bacon, chicken apple sausage or breakfast sausage (pictured). Cook first, set aside, then add them to the hash at the end
- To Make Ahead:
- Cool hash, then refrigerate the hash in an airtight container until ready to use. To reheat, spread on a foil lined pan sprayed with oil and heat at 425F/218C for about 7-10 minutes.
- You can also reheat the dish on the stove top or in the microwave for a minute or two.'
Calories: 275kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 43mg | Potassium: 385mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 11042IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1mg