Savory Peach Sauce
Dijon, lemon, thyme, garlic and chili flakes give this savory Peach Sauce a great depth of flavor. A delicious pairing with chicken and pork.
Servings (change as needed): 8 (1/4-1/3 cup each)
- 6 peaches (about 4 cups chopped)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (about 1/2 large lemon)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 2 frozen cubes or 2 tsp)
- 3 tbsp green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes (or more)
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp each, salt and pepper
PEEL AND CUT THE PEACHES (Note 1): For easy peeling, carefully drop peaches into a pot of boiling water. Boil for 1 minute. Lift out peaches and slip off the skins. Cut peaches in half and remove pits. Chop into small chunks, about 1/2-3/4 inch.
MAKE THE SAUCE: In a medium pot (I use the same one as above), put in all ingredients. Heat to Medium-high to bring to gentle boil (lower heat to medium if boiling too rapidly). Gently boil for about 6-8 minutes uncovered, stirring frequently, or until you reach the desired consistency. The more you cook it, the thicker it will get. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more lemon, sugar, chili flakes, thyme as needed. Serve hot or cold with chicken, fish, pork or grains.
To remove peach skins
To chop/dice peaches
- Place peaches in a pot of boiling water for 1 minute.
- Empty peaches into a colander and continually rinse with very cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Skins will slip off with your fingers. For stubborn spots, using a paring knife.
- Slide a small knife all around the indent of the peach. Twist two halves of the peach in opposite directions along the cut to separate.
- Remove pit.
- Slice into 1/2 inch pieces. Then dice.
- Make Ahead: The savory peach sauce can be made 3-5 days ahead and kept in the fridge. Serve cold or warm in the microwave.
Calories: 82kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 161mg | Potassium: 231mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 491IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1mg