Hearty Ratatouille Soup
Loaded with healthy vegetables, this hearty ratatouille soup is low calorie but satisfying. It makes a great meal with some warm fresh bread and cheese.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic (4 teaspoons)
- 1 eggplant (about 1/2-3/4 pound)
- 1 zucchini
- 1 small pepper (orange, red or yellow)
- 1 can (28 ounce) crushed San Marzano tomatoes (or Fire Roasted tomatoes)
- 2 cup broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1/4-1/3 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped (add after soup is cooked)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary or marjoram
- OPTIONAL: pinch of sugar, pinch of red pepper flakes - or to taste
- Parmesan Cheese; Cheese Toasts (see Notes) Fresh Croutons; fresh French/Italian Bread; or chopped fresh basil
PREPARE VEGETABLES: Cut onion, pepper, eggplant and zucchini into 2 inch chunks. Using a food processor (for quicker chopping), process garlic. Add vegetable chunks and pulse several times until chopped into small pieces. (you may still be left with a few pieces that need to be cut further with a knife). Or process in two batches if needed. Alternatively, use a knife to mince garlic and dice vegetables.
MAKE SOUP: Heat olive oil to medium high in a large pot. Add onions and saute for a few minutes until translucent. Add diced/chopped vegetables and garlic. Continue to cook stirring, for another 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juices, broth, basil and seasonings. Bring to boil, then reduce reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Stir in fresh spinach until wilted, about 30 seconds. Taste and adjust seasonings including optional pinch of sugar, a splash of cream and/or pinch of red pepper flakes. If soup is too thick, add additional water or broth to taste.
FINISH SOUP AND SERVE: Ladle soup into bowls. Add one of the optional toppings as desired or serve with hot fresh bread. Leftovers keep well in fridge.
To make Cheese Toast: Heat oven or toaster oven to 425F. Top sliced baguette with grated Parmesan, Gruyere or Emmental cheese . Place on foil-lined pan. Sprinkle with dried basil, pepper or thyme if desired. Bake for 3-5 minutes until cheese is bubbly and toasts are lightly browned.
Nutrition values are calculated without the optional garnishes/toppings
Calories: 184kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1225mg | Potassium: 824mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 3536IU | Vitamin C: 68mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 3mg