Savoury Rice and Roasted Veggies
Savoury Rice and Roasted Veggies takes a rice side dish to a new level with a delicious blend of spices and eye-popping roasted vegetables. In fact, two sides in one.
Servings (change as needed): 6 people
- 4 cups hot cooked rice any kind (Note 1) you will need 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups dry rice
- 2 large carrots, shaved into strips with a vegetable peeler
- 3 cups roughly chopped peppers (use varied colours)
- 2 cups mushrooms (small whole mushroom, sliced or pieces)
- 6 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes
- 2 cups asparagus or snap peas roughly chopped (Optional) If very thin, add half way through roasting.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon wedges for garnish
Spice mix for rice
- 2 tsp smoked or regular paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp fennel (or dill or thyme if preferred)
- 2 tbsp butter (or substitute with olive oil)
Preheat oven to 425F. Prepare large pan with parchment or foil, sprayed with oil.
ROAST VEGETABLES: Put the vegetables In a large mixing bowl, Add oil, salt and pepper. Mix well. Spread vegetables evenly on pan in one layer. Use two pans if needed. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until slightly caramelized.
COOK RICE and MAKE SPICE MIX: While veggies are roasting, cook rice according to package directions. Add butter and spices and mix well to blend evenly. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Add chili flakes if using. Keep warm.
ASSEMBLE: When ready to serve, spoon spiced rice into a pretty serving bowl. Top with the roasted veggies. Garnish with chopped parsley or thyme sprigs. Serve with lemon wedges if desired.
- Rice: You can use left over rice for this recipe. Reheat the rice with 1-2 tbsp water, covered, in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or until hot.
- Spices: Vary the spices for rice to your taste - curry powder, cumin, coriander, chili powder, turmeric, etc. Also try chili flakes if you like spicy rice.
- Veggies: Try different vegetables like asparagus, sweet onion, snap peas, green beans or shaved parsnip.
- Herbs: Use rosemary, dill, parsley, chives or tarragon instead of thyme.
- Rice or substitute: I like Basmati or Jasmine but you can use any kind of long grain rice. You can also substitute the rice with cooked small pasta, spaghetti squash or quinoa.
- Make Ahead: Keep the rice warm in the rice cooker or on the stove. Reheat the veggies before serving in the oven for 5 minutes. Alternatively microwave the assembled dish for a minute or two just before serving.
Calories: 318kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 254mg | Potassium: 619mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 6999IU | Vitamin C: 109mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 3mg