Kale Slaw With Hazelnuts and Charred Onions
Try this fresh, light kale slaw with toasted hazelnuts and charred onions over a simple chicken breast or salmon for a healthy, low-cal and tasty meal. Or toss it with ravioli or tofu for a vegetarian version.
Servings (change as needed): 2 good size portions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, thinly sliced
- pinch salt
- 1 cup kale, packed
- 1/2 lemon, (zest and 1 tablespoon juice)
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, shelled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
Optional garnish and add-ins
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, dried cranberries, chopped green onion, diced fresh mango, peaches or pear.
SAUTÉ ONIONS: Heat oil in skillet to medium high. Add onions and a pinch of salt. Sauté for 8-10 minutes, stirring regularly until browned and a bit charred/caramelized. Alternatively char onions on the grill.
TOAST HAZELNUTS: Stovetop method - While onions are cooking, place hazelnuts in single layer in a skillet. Heat on medium for 5-8 minutes, shaking regularly to prevent burning. When fragrant, they are done. Note 1 for other toasting methods. Let cool for a few minutes then rub nuts between hands to remove skins. It's fine if some skin does not come off. Roughly chop nuts.
ASSEMBLE SLAW: Wash kale and pat dry. Remove large ribs. Roughly chop into small pieces. Place in a big bowl with a pinch of salt. Massage kale for 15-20 seconds to soften. Add lemon juice, oil, caramelized onions and chopped hazelnuts. Toss all together. Taste and adjust seasonings.
FINISH AND SERVE: Add any optional garnishes or add-ins you like. Use as a topping for cooked chicken breast, salmon or ravioli (Note 2 for cooking instructions). Or cut cooked protein into chunks and toss with kale slaw. Or serve as a side dish.
Nutrition value estimates do not include optional garnishes.
- Other methods to toast hazelnuts: Microwave method: Toast nuts in a microwave on high for about a minute (tossed with 1/2 tsp oil for every 1 cup nuts). If not lightly browned and smelling good yet, add extra time in small increments. Oven method: Heat oven to 350F/177C. Place nuts on a pan in single layer and toast for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Shake pan half way through for even roasting.
- What to serve with kale slaw - with cooking instructions:
- Boneless chicken breast: pound breast to even thickness. Season well. Place in 450F/232C oven for 12-16 minutes depending on thickness to a temperature of 160F/71C. Rest 5 minutes (temp will rise). Alternatively, grill breasts. Or sous vide them at 144F/62C for 90-120 minutes. Shortcut: use chopped rotisserie chicken or tofu.
- Salmon: Drizzle oil on salmon fillets. Season well with salt and pepper. Top with chopped green onions. Bake in 425F/218C oven for 10 minutes per inch (2.5 cm) of thickness.
- Ravioli: Buy ready-made uncooked ravioli. Cook for a few minutes according to package directions. Toss with kale slaw.
- Make Ahead: Make the slaw several hours ahead and add the nuts before serving. In fact, it's good to let the flavors meld for at least 15 minutes. You can also prep all the ingredients up to a couple of days ahead and keep them in an airtight container in the fridge. Then, just assemble half hour before serving
Calories: 257kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 17g | Sodium: 602mg | Potassium: 336mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3353IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 123mg | Iron: 2mg