Lemon Risotto with Grilled Vegetables (Instant Pot)
Creamy risotto without the constant hands-on stirring? Yes! Instant pot lemon risotto with grilled vegetables takes minimal effort for exceptional results. Ready in 30 minutes.
Servings (change as needed): 6 - 8 sides
For Grilled Veggies
- 10 cups vegetables, chopped Note 1
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 3 teaspoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 ½ cup Arborio short grain rice
- ¼ cup white wine
- 4 tablespoon butter (half stick)
- 4 cup broth (chicken or vegetable) plus ¼ cup more if needed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt if needed (depends on broth used)
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cup fresh baby spinach or kale, roughly chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated (Optional)
Preheat grill to Medium High.
PREPARE AND GRILL VEGETABLES: Cut vegetables into small pieces and toss with oil, salt and pepper to taste. Place in grill basket. Grill for 8-12 minutes, stirring once or twice until tender. Set aside. (I turn off BBQ and leave lid on to keep warm). Note 2.
MAKE RISOTTO - STEP 1 SAUTE: While vegetables are grilling, press SAUTE on Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. Once heated, add oil, onions and garlic. Stir for 2 minutes. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes to toast (it will stay white). Add white wine and stir until completely evaporated (30 seconds). Add about a cup of broth and stir for 1 minute.
MAKE RISOTTO - STEP 2 PRESSURE COOK: Turn Instant pot to OFF. Add rest of broth, butter and thyme. Secure lid. Turn VALVE to sealing. Turn PRESSURE or MANUAL setting on. Set for 6 minutes. Count down will start when pressure has built up (about 8-10 minutes). Once time is finished (instant pot will automatically change setting to Keep Warm), do a Quick Release of pressure by turning valve to VENTING (keep fingers away from vent). When pressure is fully released, remove lid.
FINISH RISOTTO: Stir risotto. It will be loose at first. Stir in spinach until wilted (30 seconds). Stir in lemon juice, zest, Parmesan (if using) and grilled vegetables. Add more broth if needed. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add salt if needed. Transfer to serving bowl and serve immediately topped with additional Parmesan if desired.
Nutrition values are estimates for generous sized portions - almost a cup of cooked risotto per person - and don't include the optional Parmesan cheese.
- Vegetables: good options are green onions, red onions, peppers (any color), asparagus, zucchini, mushrooms
- If you don't have a grill or grill basket: If you don't have a grill, roast vegetables on a pan lined with foil and sprayed with oil for 15 minutes at 425F. If you don't have a grill basket, grill larger pieces then cut them up after.
- To make ahead: Keep warm in instant pot for up to an hour or microwave for a minute or two, stirring half way through. For both options, you may need to add extra broth to loosen the risotto.
Calories: 515kcal | Carbohydrates: 86g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 1235mg | Potassium: 783mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 16921IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 6mg