Spaghetti Squash Noodles With Roasted Vegetables
Spaghetti squash noodles with roasted vegetables is all about healthy, low cal and satisfying. The shortcuts below will get this veggie comfort food on the table in under 30 minutes.
Servings (change as needed): 3 mains or 4-5 sides
- 1 whole spaghetti squash
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Garnish (optional): Parmesan cheese, feta cheese and/or chopped fresh herbs e.g. parsley, basil, thyme
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 6 cups fresh vegetables, cut in 1 inch/2.5 cm pieces e.g. eggplant, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic (1 small clove)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425F/218C. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper or with foil sprayed with cooking spray.
PREPARE SPAGHETTI SQUASH: Cut off 1/2 inch/1.3 cm on one end on cutting board. Stand up squash on flat end. Cut in half lengthwise. ALTERNATIVELY (and the best way I think), pierce 2-3 times with sharp knife, microwave for 4 minutes, then cut in half lengthwise (squash will be MUCH easier to cut after microwaving). Scoop out seeds with a spoon. Rub with oil, sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Place squash CUT SIDE DOWN at one edge of sheet pan.
PREPARE VEGETABLES: Toss sliced onions and cut vegetables with oil, salt and pepper. Spread out in single layer on pan beside squash. If you don't have a large enough pan, use one pan for squash and another for vegetables.
ROAST SQUASH AND VEGETABLES about 30-40 minutes (cooking time depends on size of your squash) until squash is fork tender and vegetables are beginning to caramelize. Stir veggies half way through roasting. Remove from oven and let squash cool for 10 minutes. If veggies need more time, return to oven for 5-10 minutes to ensure any liquid is absorbed. Using a fork, 'rake' squash to create spaghetti-like strands of squash. Note 1 to microwave squash. Note 2 to grill vegetables.
MAKE DRESSING (OPTIONAL): While veggies are roasting, make dressing if desired. Whisk together all ingredients. Note 3 for dressing options.
ASSEMBLE AND SERVE: Transfer squash strands to plate or bowl. Top with roasted vegetables. Drizzle on dressing if using. Or drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese or feat. Garnish with chopped parsley or other chopped fresh herbs and a little sea salt if you like.
Nutrition values are estimated and do not include optional dressing, parmesan, etc.
- To microwave squash: Pierce squash a few times with a knife. Microwave whole for 4 minutes (this just makes it easier to cut in half). Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Place two halves cut side down in a microwavable dish filled with an inch of water. Microwave on high for 10-14 minutes (depending on size of squash and power of microwave) or until easily pierced with a fork.
- To grill vegetables: Heat grill to medium-high. Place cut vegetables in grill basket that has been sprayed with oil. Toss with oil, salt and pepper. Place grill basket on grill. Close lid. Cook for 8 minutes. Stir. Cook another 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and some parts are charred. If you don't have a grill, sauté vegetables in a large non stick skillet for 8-10 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Dressing options: Instead of the dressing in the recipe, use a good store bought dressing. Or instead, just add garnishes such as a little bit of extra virgin olive oil, a handful of grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled feta cheese and some fresh chopped herbs.
- Make Ahead:
- The squash and vegetables can be made ahead and warmed before serving. Add garnishes or dressing (if using) just before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for 2-3 days. It may get a bit watery with the veggies and dressing though.
Calories: 443kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 228mg | Potassium: 1176mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 18884IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 5mg