Easy Hasselback Sweet Potatoes (15 min)
Showcase these unique hasselback sweet potatoes in the star supporting role at your next BBQ or gathering. Choose one of four delicious seasoning combinations to take them to the next level.
Prep Time3 minutes mins
Cook Time12 minutes mins
Total Time15 minutes mins
Course: Side Dish
Diet: Gluten Free, Vegetarian
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes, scrubbed (or 4 small sweet potatoes)
- oil spray
Maple Pecan seasoning
- 4 tablespoon butter half a stick
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey or brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary or thyme
- pinch nutmeg or cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Alternative seasoning mixtures
- Garlic Butter Herb 4 Tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon minced or grated garlic, 2 Tablespoons finely chopped herbs (e.g. chives, thyme, rosemary), 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Pesto Parmesan 4 Tablespoons homemade pesto (or store bought), 1 tablespoon olive oil. Use grated Parmesan cheese as garnish.
- Spicy Honey Dijon 3 Tablespoons honey (or maple syrup), 1 Tablespoon Dijon, 2 Tablespoons butter, 1 Tablespoon rosemary finely chopped, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
PREHEAT GRILL to high (450F-500F/232-260C) Note 1 to broil.
PREPARE SWEET POTATOES: Pierce sweet potatoes with a knife in a few places to allow steam to escape. Microwave on high 4 minutes (for small potatoes) and 6-7 minutes (for large potatoes) or until tender. They should be tender enough to eat, but too soft or they will be difficult to cut and grill. Place them on a cutting board, then, using a sharp knife, cut horizontal slits on each potato 1/4-1/3 inches (6-8 mm) apart, DO NOT cut all the way through! TIP: use chopsticks, wooden skewers or place a wooden spoon on both sides of the potato to prevent slicing all the way through. Here is a video on how to slice a hasselback potato.
MAKE SEASONING COMBINATION (choose one option): Combine all ingredients for seasoning option in a small bowl (except nuts if using). If seasoning option includes butter, microwave mixture for 20 seconds. Place potatoes on plate. Spoon half of mixture in between potato slices. Reserve remaining seasoning mixture for later, adding nuts at this point if your mixture includes them).
GRILL SWEET POTATOES: (Note 1 to broil, Note 2 for shortcut). Spray sweet potatoes with oil on the outside to prevent sticking. Grill for 2 minutes, cut side down, until char marks form. Use tongs to carefully turn potatoes to grill sides as well for another 2 minutes. No need to grill the bottom. Transfer potatoes to plate. Brush on remaining seasoning/topping mixture. Garnish with nuts or other garnish if desired. Larger potatoes can be cut in half before serving.
Nutrition values are estimated using the maple pecan seasoning mixture.
- To broil instead of grill: Add half the seasoning mixture, broil sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with oil (for easy clean up), slit side up, 6-8 inches (15- 20 cm) from the oven heat source for 2-3 minutes or until some char forms. Then brush on the remaining mixture (and nuts if using).
- Shortcut: Skip the grilling or broiling. Just brush on the seasoning mixture and serve (no grilling, no broiling, but no char marks).
- Make Ahead:
- You can prepare the sweet potatoes several hours ahead, up to the point of grilling or broiling. That means microwaving them and making the seasoning mixture. Leave everything at room temperature. Grill or broil for a few minutes then add the remaining seasoning just before serving.
- Alternatively, make the full recipe and warm in a 350F/177C oven for 10-15 minutes or in the microwave for 60-90 seconds before serving.
Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 298mg | Potassium: 427mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 16385IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 1mg