Hasselback Sweet Potatoes (15 min)
Feature these hasselback sweet potatoes in the star supporting role at your next BBQ or gathering. A great shortcut makes them quick and easy to make. And the topping takes them from plain to special.
Servings (change as needed): 4 -6
- 2 large-ish (or 4 smaller) sweet potatoes, scrubbed
Maple Pecan Topping
- 4 tbsp butter half a stick
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary or thyme
- pinch nutmeg or cinnamon
- 2 tbsp finely chopped pecans
Optional toppings (instead of maple pecan)
- 2. Garlic Butter Herb 4 Tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon minced or grated garlic, 2 Tablespoons finely chopped herbs (e.g. chives, thyme, rosemary), 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3. Pesto Parmesan 4 Tablespoons homemade pesto (or store bought), 1 tablespoon olive oil. Use grated Parmesan cheese as garnish.
- 4. Spicy Honey Dijon 3 Tablespoons honey (or maple syrup), 1 Tablespoon Dijon, 2 Tablespoons butter, 1 Tablespoon rosemary finely chopped, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
PREHEAT GRILL to medium high (425-450F) Note 1
PREPARE SWEET POTATOES: Pierce sweet potatoes with knife in a few places to allow steam to escape. Microwave on high 4 minutes (for small potatoes) and 6 minutes (for larger potatoes) or until tender. Using a sharp knife, cut horizontal slits on each potato 1/3 inches apart, leaving 1/2 inch at the bottom uncut. DO NOT cut all the way through.
MAKE TOPPING OF YOUR CHOICE (choose one option): Combine all ingredients for topping in a small bowl (except nuts if using). If topping you choose includes butter, microwave for 20 seconds. Brush half of topping over potatoes, including in between each slit. Reserve the rest for later, adding nuts at this point if your topping includes them).
GRILL SWEET POTATOES: Note 1. Grill sweet potatoes for 3-4 minutes, slit side down, until char marks form. If desired, grill on both sides as well, carefully turning with tongs. No need to grill the bottom. Transfer potatoes to plate. Brush on remaining topping. Garnish with parsley, nuts or other garnish if desired. Larger potatoes can be cut in half or thirds before serving.
Nutrition values are estimates using the maple pecan topping.
- No grill? Add half the topping, broil sweet potatoes on pan lined with foil (for easy clean up), slit side up, 8-10 inches from the oven heat source for about 3 minutes or until some char forms. The brush on the remaining topping and nuts if using. Shortcut: Alternatively, brush on the topping and serve (no grilling, no broiling).
- Make Ahead:
- The pre-cooking of the sweet potatoes and topping can be prepared well ahead. Just brush with the topping and grill for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Or make the full recipe and warm in the microwave for a 60-90 seconds before serving.
Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 164mg | Potassium: 418mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 16386IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg