Moist Lemon Blueberry Loaf
Moist, lemony and bursting with blueberries, this Lemon Blueberry Loaf is perfect for a tea, shower or brunch.
Servings (change as needed): 12 slices
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream or plain or Greek yoghurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from 1 large lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen), dusted in 1 tablespoon flour flour will prevent them from sinking to bottom of the pan
For Optional Lemon Syrup
- juice of 1 lemon mixed with 2-3 teaspoons sugar
For Simple Lemon Glaze
- 1/2 cup icing sugar also called confectioners' sugar or powdered sugar
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- dash of pure vanilla extract
- Optional: Lemon zest to sprinkle on top
GET ORGANIZED: Preheat oven temperature to 350F/176.7C. Spray an 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5 inch loaf pan (21 x 11 x 6 cm) with cooking oil (or grease with butter) and dust with flour. Zest two lemons and set aside.
COMBINE DRY INGREDIENTS: (except sugar) Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in large mixing bowl.
COMBINE WET INGREDIENTS AND SUGAR: In a medium separate bowl, mix together sour cream eggs, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and oil.
COMBINE INGREDIENTS FROM BOTH BOWLS: Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and combine with whisk. Gently fold in the blueberries mixed with flour.
BAKE: Pour batter into greased/floured prepared pan. Bake on middle rack for about 50-70 minutes. Since ovens vary, start checking at 50 minutes. If toothpick or tester inserted into center of loaf comes out clean, it's done. Rest cake for 10 minutes on rack, then remove cake from loaf pan and place it on rack over a pan or cutting board (something to catch any drips).
MAKE AND ADD LEMON SYRUP (OPTIONAL): For an even moister, more lemony loaf, poke holes in top of cake with tester or toothpick. Pour on lemon syrup to soak in. Let loaf cool on a wire rack.
MAKE AND ADD GLAZE: Mix together icing sugar and fresh lemon juice in a small bowl. After the loaf cools, drizzle glaze over cake. Sprinkle with lemon zest if desired. Slice and serve.
The nutritional information is an estimate and includes the lemon syrup and glaze.
- To reduce calories in the loaf.
- The recipe has an option for a lemon syrup which adds extra moistness and lemon taste, but you can leave that step out if you want. Or alternatively, use the syrup and leave out the glaze.
- Substitute Greek yogurt or plain [lower fat] yogurt for the sour cream.
- Just eat half a slice :)
- Try blackberries or raspberries instead of blueberries.
- Leave out the blueberries (but of course you will then have to call it Lemon Loaf! )
- Make Ahead: Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge. It also freezes well, well wrapped in plastic wrap, tin foil or a ziplock bag, for up to 3 months.
Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 199mg | Potassium: 75mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 189IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 1mg