Asian-Inspired Mac 'N' Cheese Recipe
I love the fusion of cultures in Toronto that spills onto the plate. Our Asian-Inspired Mac 'N' Cheese is a twist on the tried-and-true favorite, adding Udon noodles, edamame and seaweed garnish for a delicious Asian flare.
Servings (change as needed): 3 people
- 400 gram cooked packaged Instant Udon Noodles, cut into smaller pieces
- 3 tablespoon Butter, divided
- 1 Small Onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup Broccoli Florets
- 1 cup Fresh Edamame Beans, removed from pods (or frozen pre-shelled)
- 2 tablespoon Flour
- 1 cup 10% Cream (half and half)
- 1 cup 2% Milk
- 1 3/4 cup Aged/Old Cheddar, shredded
- 1 teaspoon Wasabi Powder (very mild heat). OPTIONAL
- Shredded Roasted Seaweed (garnish)
COOK THE NOODLES: In a medium saucepan, bring salted water to a boil. Add shelled edamame beans and boil for 1 minute. Then add udon noodles and cook according to package instructions, about 3 more minutes. Drain and set aside.
MAKE VEGETABLES AND SAUCE: Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet on medium heat and then add sliced onions. Cook onions until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add broccoli florets. Cover with lid to allow steam to cook broccoli for 3-4 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the final 1 ½ tablespoons of butter letting it melt. Stir in flour and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in cream and milk and cook until thickened slightly, about 3 mins. Turn off heat. Add cheese and stir until fully incorporated. If desired, add wasabi powder (adjust amount to your preference) for a bit of heat.
FINISH DISH: Add cooked udon noodles and edamame to cheese-vegetable mixture and stir until all the noodles are covered. Place in bowl and top with lots of shredded seaweed.