Easy Bourbon Chicken Mall Recipe (20 minutes)
Delicious! Put this on your blog!" said my enthusiastic husband after the first bite. So here it is - an easy bourbon chicken mall recipe just like you get at the food court. A quick simple dinner.
Servings (change as needed): 4 or 10-12 as appetizers
- 1 1/2 pound (0.68kg) boneless, skinless chicken, Note 1
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch (only needed if stir frying chicken)
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) low sodium soy sauce e.g. Kikkoman
- 1/2 cup (120ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60g, 2 ounces) apple sauce, apple juice or orange juice
- 1/4 cup (50g) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (for low-medium spice)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or 1 clove or frozen cube or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mince or grated fresh ginger (or 1 frozen cube (or 1/4 tsp ground ginger powder)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
HEAT GRILL OR OVEN if using. See cooking options for chicken below.
PREPARE SAUCE: Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk to mix well.
COOK CHICKEN USING ONE OF THESE OPTIONS. In all cases, transfer to a plate after cooking and keep warm. Note that recipe will take longer with some cooking methods. ° Stir fry bite size chicken: Cut up chicken into bite size pieces, place in bag with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 1/2 teaspoon salt, shake until lightly coated. Sauté in oil in a skillet on medium high heat in two batches until lightly browned and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes depending on size of pieces. ° Stir fry full size chicken pieces: Dust chicken with cornstarch and salt. Sauté chicken in a bit of oil in pan on medium high heat, transfer to a board, let sit for 5 minutes, then cut into bite size pieces. Keep warm.° Grill chicken (my preference if you have a grill handy - quick and easy): Toss the larger pieces of chicken with a bit of oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill on medium high for a 3-4 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes, then cut into bite size pieces.° Bake chicken: drizzle breasts or thighs with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Baked in pan lined with parchment (for easy clean up) at 425F/218C for about 18 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes, then cut into bite size pieces. ° Sous vide chicken: at 144F/62C for 1.5 to a maximum of 4 hours. Here is a recipe to follow for sous vide chicken if you need one.
COOK SAUCE AND TOSS WITH CHICKEN: Heat skillet to medium high. Add sauce and cook, stirring, until it starts to boil and thicken about 3-4 minutes. Add chicken and stir to coat. Lower heat and cook for another 2 minutes just until chicken is well coated with sauce and heated through. If the sauce is too thick, add a tablespoon or two or water or juice. Serve over rice if desired. Garnish with chopped green onions and/or sesame seeds if you like.
Nutrition values are estimates using boneless skinless chicken breasts, the minimal bourbon and no garnishes.
- What chicken to use: boneless skinless chicken thighs (my preference - juicier and more flavorful) or skinless boneless chicken breasts.
- Make ahead:
- You can make the sauce and chicken ahead of time. Ten minutes before you're ready to serve, heat the sauce and add the chicken to heat through.
- You can also make the full dish ahead of time and warm it on the stove or in the microwave.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Calories: 346kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 1566mg | Potassium: 742mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 223IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 1mg