Roasted Honey Glazed Carrots
A fresh bunch of carrots roasted with honey and thyme, and garnished with orange zest, make these roasted honey glazed carrots irresistible. A simple and easy jazzed-up side dish.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 1 pound (0.5kg) slender carrots, leaves attached, Note 1 (about 2 bunches if carrots are small and slim)
- 1 tablespoon honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest (half an orange)
Preheat oven to 425F/218C. Prepare a pan lined with parchment or foil (if using foil, lightly spray with oil) - for easy clean up.
PREPARE CARROTS: Peel carrots (Note 2). If you leave a 1/2 inch of green stems on, be sure the scrub the earth off around the stem (I use a peeler to get most of it off). Try to get all the carrots the same width in order to cook evenly- you may have to slice a few in half lengthwise. Place carrots on pan. Mix honey, oil, thyme and salt in a small bowl. Pour mixture over carrots and toss around to coat evenly.
ROAST CARROTS: Roast carrots for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Give them a shake half way through.
SERVE: Place carrots on a serving plate. Garnish with orange zest (Note 3) and drizzle lightly with more honey (or maple syrup) if you like. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Carrot options
- Buy fresh carrots with leaves attached if you want to keep a little bit of the stem at the top (fancy-schmancy). Bagged carrots are fine too.
- To peel or not to peel
- If you scrub the carrots well, you can skip peeling them. There is no nutritional difference if you peel them or not. You just get a brighter appearance and slightly sweeter taste with peeled carrots. The skin has some bitterness to it.
- Variations to try
Nutrition values are estimates.
- Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Omit the thyme or orange zest. If you don't like thyme, dill would be a great substitute.
- Use maple syrup instead of honey.
- Try half carrots and half parsnips.
- Make Ahead: Roast the carrots as per the recipe ahead of time, then reheat at 375F -400F (190C-204C) for 5-10 minutes. Alternatively, serve them at room temperature.
Calories: 95kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 369mg | Potassium: 377mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 19030IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 1mg