Spinach Quinoa Salad With Beets
If you're looking for a bold, colorful, earthy, nutritious, textured side dish, this Spinach Quinoa Salad with beets might just fit the bill. It's mixed with apple and avocado, then dressed with a light honey Dijon dressing for great flavors and a beautiful presentation.
Servings (change as needed): 4 (or 3 more substantial sides)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa Note 1
- 2 cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded or julienne cooked beets
- 1 small apple (or 1/2 large), cored and diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- OPTIONAL GARNISH: roasted pecans or other nuts, chopped; crumbled goat cheese
For Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider (or white wine) vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch each: salt, pepper, garlic powder (or to taste)
MAKE THE DRESSING: Combine all dressing ingredients in a tightly sealed container/jar and shake well. Or, whisk well until combined.
ASSEMBLE SALAD: [If you are cutting avocado and apple ahead of assembly time, sprinkle with lemon to avoid browning]. Combine all salad ingredients in a bowl. Add part of the dressing. Toss. Add more dressing if needed. Garnish with chopped nuts and/or goat cheese if desired.
Nutrition value estimates do not include optional garnishes.
- To make quinoa: Rinse 1/2 cup quinoa in a strainer for 2 minutes. Put in pot. Add 3/4 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat to boiling, stir, cover, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and rest 5 minutes. Cool.
- Make Ahead: The salad is great the next day for lunch, although the greens become less vibrant green. To make ahead, add dressing at least half hour before to meld the flavors. Add garnish like goat cheese and nuts before serving.
Calories: 252kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 252mg | Potassium: 376mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 1482IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg