Chicken Meatloaf and Vegetables
This chicken meatloaf recipe with vegetables is NOT dry and boring. It's soft, super moist and tasty with lots of hidden nutrition thanks to the onions, carrots and spinach. Your family will love this one.
Servings (change as needed): 5 (8-9 slices)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken (Note 1)
- 1/4 large sweet onion
- 3 small carrots, peeled (or 1 medium-large)
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
Breadcrumb & Seasoning Mixture
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs (I use a bit less)
- 5 tablespoon milk (broth, tomato juice or wine can be used instead)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar (good quality)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tbsp fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or more to taste unless breadcrumbs or chicken have salt in them)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoon good quality Balsamic Vinegar
Preheat oven to 400F. Line a pan (about 9 x 13 inch) with foil and spray with oil.
PREPARE VEGETABLE FILLING: Cut onion and carrots in 2 inch pieces. Place in food processor along with spinach and garlic. Process on high for a minute until finely minced. Alternatively, chop all vegetables finely. Heat oil in medium pan. Add vegetables and saute on medium high for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender and all liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
PREPARE BREADCRUMB AND SEASONING MIXTURE: In a large bowl, mix breadcrumbs and milk together. Let sit for a few minutes. Stir in remaining breadcrumb-seasoning mixture ingredients. Mixture will be pasty.
MAKE CHICKEN MEATLOAF: Add ground chicken and vegetable mixture to bowl. Using a clean hand formed into a 'claw', use a twisting motion to lightly mix chicken, vegetable and breadcrumb mixture together just until combined (don't over mix). Place mixture on pan and form it into a loaf shape approximately 10-12 x 5 inches and about 2 inches high.
BAKE: Mix together ketchup and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl. Brush glaze on top and sides of loaf. Bake for 30 minutes. Instant thermometer should read 160F. Let sit for 5-7 minutes to keep juices in and for easier slicing. Slice and serve.
Nutrition values include the glaze topping.
- Which kind of chicken to use: I used ground dark chicken meat, but a blend of white and dark or even all white would work too. If you do decide to use the lower fat white meat, add another teaspoon or two of oil when you are sauteing the vegetables to help avoid a dry meatloaf.
- To store: Cover leftovers will with foil or plastic wrap and keep in fridge for up to 3 days.
- To freeze raw: Prepare loaf. Wrap raw loaf in foil and then in ziploc bag. Freeze up to 6 months. Thaw in fridge the night before baking.
- To freeze cooked: Cool loaf, then wrap well in foil and ziploc bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in fridge.
- To reheat cooked loaf: Set oven for 300F, place thawed loaf in shallow pan with a couple tablespoons broth or water (to keep it moist), cover pan tightly with foil and warm for 20-30 minutes.
Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 151mg | Sodium: 553mg | Potassium: 1022mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 7641IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 2mg