Chunky Apple Sauce (No Peeling Needed!)
This homemade chunky apple sauce is a yummy, no-fuss, healthy comfort food. Just 3 main ingredients and easy to make to suit your tastes - semi smooth, with or without peels, sweet, tart, even low or no sugar.
Servings (change as needed): 6
- 6 cups cored, chopped apples (Note 1). I leave peels on. (about 2 1/4 pounds/1 kg or 5 medium apples).
- 1/4 cup (57 grams) brown sugar (or more if apples are tart)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or more, to taste)
Optional for added richness
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
Nutrition values are estimates and include the optional butter and vanilla.
- Different variety of apples to use:
- Sweet apples (so you can use less sugar): Golden Delicious, Fuji, Honeycrisp, Gala, Ambrosia
- Tart apples: Cortland, Granny Smith apples, Pink Lady, Empire, McIntosh (MacIntosh tend to break down into sauce, so if you prefer all chunky, leave them out).
- Other variations
- Sweet or tart
- Depending on the sweetness or tartness of your apples, add more or less sugar. Or squeeze in a little bit of fresh lemon juice to achieve the sweet-tart balance you like.
- I prefer brown sugar but you can substitute white sugar or maple syrup if that's what you have on hand.
- For a chunky applesauce recipe no sugar
- Choose a sweeter apple and add no sugar or use a sugar substitute like stevia.
- Try a pinch of nutmeg instead of or in addition to cinnamon. Or pumpkin spice.
- Add extra cinnamon if you like.
- For added richness, add a pad of butter and/or vanilla extract.
- Make Ahead: Store chunky applesauce in the fridge for 7-10 days or freeze in freezer-safe containers for up to 6 months.
Calories: 119kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 21mg | Potassium: 146mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 126IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg