Berry Crumble (No Bake)
If you're looking to serve something healthy and light and a few notches above plain berries, this no-bake Berry Crumble is the ticket. Fresh berries topped with a rich nut-date mixture (and whipped cream if you like) - ready in 10 minutes.
Servings (change as needed): 8
- 6 cups any combination of berries (blueberries, raspberries, sliced strawberries, blackberries) 24 ounces or 6 pints
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or more if berries are not sweet enough
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped into small pieces 1/2 inch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Whipped Cream (Optional)
- 1 cup cold [heavy] whipping cream (35%) about 1 pint
- 1 1/2 tablespoon granulated (regular) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract preferably pure
- orange zest (optional), 1/2-1 tsp
PREPARE BERRIES: Wash and pat berries dry with a paper towel. Slice strawberries if using (or cut them in smaller pieces. Place in serving dish approximately 7 x 11 or 9 x 9 or 10 x 10. Add maple syrup and toss to coat evenly. Taste berries and add more if needed. Sprinkle on 1/2 tsp orange zest if using.
MAKE TOPPING: Place ingredients for nut date mixture in food processor. Pulse 8-10 times until coarsely ground.
ASSEMBLE: Scatter mixture over berries. Serve plain or with whipped cream (Note 1) or ice cream. To make ahead - Note 2.
Nutrition values are estimates and include whipped cream.
- To make whipped cream: Place whipping cream, vanilla, sugar and zest if using in a small food processor bowl (or a glass bowl if you're using a hand held mixer or immersion stick). Beat until soft peaks from, scraping down sides if needed. Be careful not to over whip to a butter consistency. Peaks should stand up fairly well - a slight droop is ok.
- To make ahead:
- You can make the recipe several hours ahead and keep it chilled in the fridge.
- If you want to make it the day before, store the berries and nut-date mixture separately. Keep the berries in the fridge and the nut mixture on the counter.
- This dessert is best fresh, but leftovers are great to have the next day. The texture is admittedly softer, but the flavors are more blended.
Calories: 346kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 13mg | Potassium: 243mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 512IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 1mg