Grilled Flank Steak (Marinated)
When cooked right, this grilled marinated flank steak is a delicious, lean, robust-tasting meat that's a great choice for a crowd. And there are lots of great ways to use leftovers if you're lucky enough to have any.
Servings (change as needed): 6
- 2 pound flank steak, Note 1 preferably certified angus beef, prime, AAA or choice cut
Flank Steak Marinade (and Sauce), Note 2
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or honey (maple syrup is fine too)
- 2 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar, Note 3
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or thyme - or 1 tsp dried (optional)
MARINATE FLANK STEAK: Put all the marinade ingredients in a sealed freezer bag. Squish around until well blended. Feel free to add 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes if you like heat. Pierce the flank steak all over with a fork or sharp knife to help tenderize the meat. Place flank steak in ziploc bag, seal and refrigerate for 3-24 hours.
GRILL FLANK STEAK: Heat the grill to medium-high heat (450-475F/232-246C). Remove flank steak and pat dry with paper towels. Reserve marinade if making a sauce. Spray flank steak with cooking oil (or coat with olive oil). Sprinkle with salt. Grill for 3-4 minutes per side or until internal temperature with an instant meat thermometer reaches 130F/54.4C for medium rare (temp will rise further when resting). Note 4 for other temperatures. The meat should still be fairly soft when you poke it with your finger. Remove from heat and place steak on cutting board. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest 10 minutes (important!).
MAKE SAUCE (optional): While flank steak is grilling, pour reserved marinade into a small sauce pan. If you prefer a slightly thickened sauce (I do), stir in 1 teaspoon cornstarch. Boil for a few minutes to ensure all impurities are cooked away. Adjust seasoning and add a tablespoon or two of water if needed to reach desired consistency. The sauce can be boiled for about 90 seconds in microwave instead in a glass measuring cup. Note 2 - other sauce options.
SLICE AND SERVE: Slice meat into thin strips against (opposite way of) the grain of the meat at a wide 45-degree angle. Serve warm or at room temperature with your choice of sauce or condiments. Flank steak can also be broiled instead of grilled.
Nutrition values are estimates for 1/3 pound/151 grams per person with the marinade and sauce.
- How to choose a flank steak:
- Choose a dark red-colored piece of meat with little to no membrane covering it.
- Higher end cuts that are more marbled like Certified Angus Beef, AAA or Prime will be more tender and flavorful. Choice cut will be fine too. Try to get these on sale as they are pricier cuts.
- You will need 1/3 pound/151 grams per person or 1/2 pound/227 grams for bigger eaters or if you want leftovers.
- This recipe makes enough marinade to be converted to a good amount of sauce for serving if desired.
- For a shortcut or other sauce options to buy, try: 1) Bearnaise sauce (shhh - I use Knorr Swiss - it's excellent!). Follow directions but use half the butter if desired. 2) mayo and horseradish 3) mango salsa 4) chimichurri sauce 5) peppercorn sauce (Knorr Swiss brand great here too) 6) Dijon mustard 7) store bought marinades such as Asian, teriyaki, spicy, Italian, Mediterranean, etc.
- Balsamic vinegar:
- A good quality brand is best. Here is an article on best balsamic vinegars for every budget by Eating Well.
- Red wine vinegar can be substituted in a pinch, but don't marinate with it for more than 6 hours
- Cook to desired temperature (take the meat off at this temperature and it will rise 5 degrees with resting):
- Rare: 125F/52C
- Medium rare: 130F/54.4C
- Medium: 140F/60C (note that rare or medium rare is best for tender flank steak)
- Make Ahead: Flank steak can be marinated ahead and grilled (and rested) just before serving. Alternatively, grill the steak and rest. Slice before serving. The steak will not be as warm so I serve the sauce hot to compensate.
Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 804mg | Potassium: 576mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 55IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 3mg