Grilled Marinated Flank Steak
When cooked right, this grilled marinated flank steak is a delicious, lean, robust-tasting meat that's a great choice for a crowd. And there are lots of great ways to use leftovers if you're lucky enough to have any.
Servings (change as needed): 6
- 2 pound flank steak preferably certified angus beef, prime, choice cut
Marinade/Sauce (Note 1)
- ⅓ cup oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar or honey (maple syrup is fine too)
- 2 tablespoon good quality balsamic vinegar (red wine vinegar can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or thyme - or 1 teaspoon dried (optional)
MARINATE FLANK STEAK: Put all the marinade ingredients in a sealed freezer bag. Squish around until well blended. Pierce the flank steak all over with a fork to help tenderize the meat. Place flank steak in ziploc bag, seal and refrigerate for 3-24 hours.
GRILL FLANK STEAK: Heat the grill to high (450-475F). Remove flank steak and pat dry with a paper towel. Reserve marinade. Spray flank steak with cooking oil (or coat with olive oil). Sprinkle with salt. Grill for 3-4 minutes per side or until instant read thermometer reads 130F for medium rare (temp will rise further when resting). The meat should still be fairly soft when you poke it with your finger. Remove from heat and set on cutting board. Cover loosely with foil and let rest 10 minutes (important!). Slice against (opposite way of) the grain of the meat at a wide angle. Serve with your choice of sauces. Flank steak can also be broiled instead of grilled.
MAKE SAUCE (optional): While flank steak is grilling, pour reserved marinade into a small sauce pan. If you prefer a slightly thickened sauce (I do), stir in 1 teaspoon cornstarch. Boil for a few minutes to ensure all impurities are cooked away. Adjust seasoning and add a tablespoon or two of water if needed to reach desired consistency. The sauce can be boiled for about 90 seconds in microwave instead in a glass measuring cup. Note 2 - other sauce options.
- Marinade/Sauce: This recipe makes enough marinade to be converted to a good amount of sauce for serving if desired.
- Other sauce options: 1) Bearnaise sauce (shhh - I use Knorr Swiss - it's excellent!). Follow directions but use half the butter if desired. 2) mayo and horseradish 3) mango salsa 4) chimichurri 5) peppercorn sauce (Knorr Swiss brand great here too - shh!)
- Make Ahead: Flank steak can be marinated ahead and grilled (and rested) just before serving. Alternatively, grill the steak and rest. Slice before serving. The steak will not be as warm so I serve the sauce hot to compensate.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 804mg | Potassium: 576mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 55IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 3mg