Pumpkin Risotto Recipe (Instant Pot)
This rich, creamy, flavor-packed Instant Pot Pumpkin Risotto recipe is pure comfort food that tastes amazing. It's a knockout vegetarian dinner for Fall or Winter. Substitute butternut squash if you can't find pumpkin.
Servings (change as needed): 8 sides (5 mains)
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 teaspoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 4 tsp fresh (or use poultry seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more at end if needed)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white or cooking wine
- 4 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth (or use 1 litre box + 1/2 cup water)
- 1 pound peeled, seeded uncooked pumpkin, diced in half inch cubes
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese (or more to taste)
- 2 cup fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped (optional)
SAUTE VEGETABLES/AROMATICS: Press SAUTE on Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. Once heated, add oil and onions. You can also 1/3 of diced pumpkin at this point if you like. Saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, salt, pepper, thyme and curry powder. Stir for 1 more minute. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes to toast (it will stay white). Add white wine and stir until completely evaporated - 1 minute.
PRESSURE COOK RISOTTO: Turn Instant pot to OFF. Add broth and remaining squash, Secure lid. Turn VALVE to sealing. Turn PRESSURE or MANUAL setting on to High level. Set for 6 minutes using + and - buttons. Count down will start when pressure has built up (in about 10-12 minutes). Once time is finished (instant pot will automatically change setting to Keep Warm), do a Quick Release of pressure by turning valve to VENTING (keep fingers away from vent). When pressure is fully released, remove lid.
FINISH RISOTTO: Stir risotto. It will be loose at first. Stir in butter and Parmesan and spinach if using. Stir until spinach is wilted (30 seconds). If too thick, add more broth or water if needed. Taste and adjust seasonings (e.g. add another 1/2 teaspoon salt if needed, more thyme, curry, etc). Transfer to serving bowl and serve immediately topped with additional Parmesan if desired.
Variations and substitutions:
To make ahead: Keep on WARM setting in Instant Pot for 30-45 minutes. Stir and add both to loosen if needed. Or if using later, turn off instant pot and warm in microwave before serving, stirring in extra broth as needed. Can keep in fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutrition values are estimates for generous portions.
- You can substitute butternut squash for the pumpkin. It has a slight lower water content so reduce the liquid by 1/4 cup (or don't worry about it and adjust with more cheese if needed).
- Some of the pumpkin disintegrates and mixes into the risotto when cooked, but a few chunks remain. If you like more chunks, dice the pumpkin into slightly larger pieces and don't saute part of the pumpkin (as noted in the recipe) with the onions.
- Instead of thyme, try sage or poultry seasoning. You can omit the curry if you want. Just taste and add something else you like.
- Try adding a tablespoon of maple syrup for some sweetness.
- Add ins
- Omit the spinach if you want. I just love the color and extra nutrition it adds. Or stir in chopped parsley or chives instead.
- Omit the Parmesan for a vegan version (and reduce the broth to 4-4 1/4 cups).
- Substitute the wine with 1/4 cup extra broth or water.
Calories: 311kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 858mg | Potassium: 333mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5983IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 146mg | Iron: 3mg