Chinese Stir Fry Green Beans
Vegetarian Chinese Stir Fry Green Beans are a wickedly good addition to any meal. Healthy, quick, easy, tasty, spicy (or not) and much better than take-out.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 1 pound green beans, washed and tips removed
- 2 teaspoon vegetable or peanut oil
- GARNISH: toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Rice wine, Sherry or Fortified wine
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes (or sriracha) or more to get the spice level you like
PREPARE COATING/SAUCE: Combine all ingredients in small bowl and set aside.
DRY-FRY BEANS: Heat oil in a wok or skillet to medium. Add green beans and saute for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium high. Continue to saute, stirring for 4 minutes until beans are tender crisp and charred a bit. If you like them more charred, reverse time and cook 4 minutes on medium and 6 minutes on medium high heat.
FINISH BEANS: Pour sauce into skillet Stir to coat beans evenly. Saute one more minute. Transfer to serving platter. Top with toasted sesame seeds if desired.
Make Ahead: two options
- Slightly under-cook the beans and place the finished dish in the oven on a low heat to keep warm.
- Or make the sauce and dry-fry the beans ahead of time. Just before serving, heat the pan to medium high, add the sauce and saute with beans for 2 minutes to heat through and finish the dish. I do this all the time.
Calories: 66kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 406mg | Potassium: 249mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 820IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 1mg