Chinese Honey Garlic Chicken (or beef)
If you're looking to satisfy a craving for crispy, fried and sweet, this honey garlic chicken (or beef) Chinese-style will do the trick. It makes a delicious appetizer or main dish and surprisingly easier than you think. 30 minutes.
Servings (change as needed): 6 appetizers (or 2-3 mains)
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite size (about 2 x 1 inch) pieces boneless chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite size (about 2 x 1 inch) pieces or 1 lb/450 g. sirloin or tri-tip beef
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- pinch salt
- oil, enough to fill skillet 1 inch use Canola oil or other vegetable oil
Honey Garlic Sauce
- 4 tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 3 if preferred)
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 green onion, sliced, for garnish
Heat oven to Warm temperature or 200F.
PREPARE SAUCE: Put the honey, garlic, soy and pepper into a pot large enough to add and mix in the fried chicken (or beef) pieces after they are fried.
PREPARE COATING AND OIL: Whisk egg whites, pinch of salt and cornstarch together in a bowl until well blended and fluffy. Mix in the chicken (or beef) and let it sit for 10 minutes. In the meantime, heat oil in a large skillet on the stove to 350-360F. Note 1.
FRY CHICKEN (OR BEEF): Line a baking pan with tin foil or parchment Put a paper towel on top. Once the oil is at the right temperature, carefully add the chicken or beef pieces, one at a time. DO NOT crowd the pan. You will need to do a few batches. Fry the chicken or beef for about 2-3 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces. Turn once in the oil. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on the paper towel. Place in oven to keep warm. Bring the oil back to 350-360F. Repeat until all the chicken or beef is fried.
ASSEMBLE: Boil honey garlic sauce for 1-2 minutes until slightly thickened. Add chicken or beef. Toss to coat well. Put on serving plate, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and garnish with green onion if desired.
Nutrition values are estimates for chicken breasts served as appetizers.
- If you don't have a frying thermometer, to test the temperature, dip the handle of a wooden spoon or a chopstick into the oil. The oil will bubble steadily (not super vigourously) around the stick when it's ready for frying.
- Make ahead: You can make this recipe ahead by keeping the meat in the oven on Warm for a little while, then tossing it in the heated sauce right before serving.
Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.05g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 428mg | Potassium: 312mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg