Honey Roasted Parsnips
Honey roasted parsnips boast just a few simple ingredients, a natural sweetness and an earthy nutty flavor. An easy side dish for a holiday or Sunday roast dinner.
Servings (change as needed): 2 -3
- 1 pound fresh parsnips (small or medium-sized parsnips if possible)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil (or 1 tbsp olive oil + 1/2 tbsp melted butter)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional garnishes: drizzle of Balsamic reduction, lemon zest, orange zest or 1 tbsp fresh herbs
PREHEAT OVEN to 425F/218C. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil (sprayed with oil).
PREPARE PARSNIPS: Peel parsnips with vegetable peeler. Cut into even sticks, about 1/2 inch/1.27 cm thick. Don't cut them too thin or they will dry out. By cutting them the same thickness, you will ensure they will finish cooking at the same time. In a medium bowl, toss parsnips with oil, honey, salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly.
ROAST AND SERVE: Place parsnips on sheet pan in a single layer (no overlapping). Roast in preheated oven for 22-30 minutes, turning half way through, until soft when pierced with a fork and caramelized on the edges. Cooking time will depend on thickness. Taste and add an extra touch of honey or salt if needed. Transfer to serving bowl and serve. If desired, add optional garnish like a drizzle of balsamic reduction, lemon zest, orange zest or fresh chopped herbs.
Nutritional information is estimated for 2 good size portions and do not include optional garnishes. The dish will serve 3 if you are serving other sides.
- Variations and substitutes
- Make a veggie combo: Try a combination of carrots and parsnips for beautiful color contrast. Just make sure to cut the carrots to the same size.
- Honey glaze - instead of regular honey, try lime-honey or honey mustard. If you don't have honey, you can use maple syrup.
- Seasonings: Experiment with other seasonings that go well with parsnips such as cumin, coriander and cinnamon.
- Herbs: that pair well with parsnips are fresh rosemary, thyme, dill, parsley, chives and oregano.
- Make Ahead:
- Roast ahead, then rewarm in a 350F/177C oven for 8-10 minutes. The parsnips are also good served at room temperature.
- Store leftover roast parsnips in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Calories: 311kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 605mg | Potassium: 862mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 1mg