Basil Salmon With Mango
Basil salmon bursts with rich flavor from tomato paste, garlic, olive oil, basil, thyme and lemon. The mango is a perfect garnish.
Servings (change as needed): 3
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh salmon fillets, skin on (2-3 fillets) (0.57 kg)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Garnish: one diced ripe mango (and chopped parsley if desired) chopped pineapple can be used instead
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 large green onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
HEAT GRILL to medium-high heat. (about 425-475F/218-246C).
MAKE SAUCE: Place all sauce/marinade ingredients in a food processor and process on high until the sauce is smooth and thick. An immersion blender or blender can be used instead.
PREPARE SALMON: Sprinkle salmon filets with salt and pepper. Spread about 1/3 of sauce on top and sides of salmon fillets, Optional: Let sit and marinate for 30 minutes.
GRILL SALMON: Spray tops of salmon well with oil to prevent sticking. For extra assurance, oil the grates using a paper towel dipped in oil (hold it with tongs). Place salmon, flesh side down and cook for 3 minutes with the lid down. Then place skin side down (flip it over) and lower to medium heat if needed, trying to maintain it at 425F/218C. Baste top of the salmon with a tablespoon of sauce. Grill for another 6-9 minutes depending on the thickness of the salmon. Don't overcook. It should be slightly warm pink in the thickest part of salmon for medium doneness. An instant or meat thermometer should read 140F/60C (it will increase to 145F/62.8C with resting for 5 minutes).
TOP WITH MANGO AND SERVE: If removing salmon skin, slip spatula between flesh and skin to lift salmon right off to a platter. Top with diced mango, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with remaining sauce on the side.
Nutrition values are estimates.
- Variations and Substitutions
- Vary the heat by adding more or less red pepper flakes (or leaving them out).
- Substitute green onion with shallots
- Use pineapple instead of mango.
- Make a sweet mango salsa or mango chutney instead of using plain mango.
- Add a splash of lime juice to the mango.
- No grill? Bake instead:
- Bake the salmon at preheated 425F/218C oven on a lined baking sheet for about 10-12 minutes (or approximately 10 minutes per inch of thickness).
- Make Ahead:
- The sauce can be made earlier in the day or a day or two ahead, kept in an airtight container in the fridge.
- The salmon can be made ahead if you want to serve it cold or at room temperature.
- I suggest dicing the mango closer to the time of serving so it doesn't become watery.
- Store leftover salmon in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Calories: 564kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 990mg | Potassium: 1192mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 924IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 3mg