How to Make Homemade Stuffing
Follow our step-by-step instructions for how to make this tried and true classic homemade stuffing and you'll be sure to have a hit at your next Thanksgiving or holiday dinner.
Servings (change as needed): 10
- 14 slices -15 bread (challah, french, italian, plain white, etc). Day old bread is best. (Buy store bought toasted bread cubes, about 4.5-5 cups/175 g)
- 1 cup (230 ml) chicken or vegetable broth or more if needed
- ½ cup (113 g) butter - 1 stick (or neutral olive/canola oil)
- 1 large sweet onion (or 2 medium)
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 cup chopped red peppers and/or mushrooms (optional)
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning or sage
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste (or more) depends on saltiness of broth used
Great optional add-ins
- 1 small can (8 oz) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 2 hot dogs any kind (including vegetarian), cut into ½ inch pieces adds a nice smoky flavor
- 1 apple, chopped, skin on
- ½ cup chopped parsley adds great color
- extra butter or drippings from turkey a few tablespoons
PREPARE BREAD CUBES: Toast bread slices in 350F oven for 5 minutes on each side until nicely toasted. Rip or cut toast into ½ inch pieces.
PREPARE VEGETABLE MIXTURE: While bread is toasting, cut celery, onions and any other vegetables you are using into large chunks and place in food processor. You might need to do this in two batches. Process until finely chopped. (Alternatively, chop vegetables finely with a knife). Melt butter in medium skillet on medium high. Add vegetables, garlic and seasonings. Saute until tender and most of the liquid from the veggies has evaporated, about 8-10 minutes.
ASSEMBLE: Place bread cubes in large bowl. Add vegetable mixture, water chestnuts, hot dogs (if using) and parsley. Add enough broth to moisten well. Stuffing should be quite moist but not mushy. Mix until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings. (I often add more poultry seasoning). If you're baking right away, mix in diced apple now. Note 1 to make ahead.
BAKE: Heat oven to 350F. Grease/spray with oil a large casserole dish or 9 x 13 pyrex dish. Spoon stuffing into dish. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover, drizzle with turkey drippings or dot with butter if desired. Bake uncovered for another 10-15 minutes until lightly browned on top. ALTERNATIVE: add stuffing loosely into the turkey cavity before roasting turkey (not ahead of time). Here's a video on how to stuff a turkey.
Nutrition values are estimates and include optional add-ins of hotdogs, apples and water chestnuts.
- Make Ahead:
- If not making the stuffing immediately, cover and place in fridge until needed in the next day or two. I put the stuffing in a ziploc bag to save room in the fridge. Mix in diced apples (if using) before you bake the stuffing.
- Leftover stuffing will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. Reheat in microwave or 325F oven covered.
Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 681mg | Potassium: 218mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1074IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 2mg