Easy Gnocchi Recipe (Au Gratin)
The pillowy gnocchi in this easy gnocchi recipe au gratin is transformed with a rich, velvety white cheese sauce. Serve it as an appetizer, side or main dish using fresh store-bought gnocchi for a great shortcut.
Servings (change as needed): 3 mains (see note 2)
- 1 package gnocchi, fresh or defrosted 375-500 g or 13-16 ounces
- 1/4 cup (22.5g) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley for garnish
White Cheese Sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter salted or unsalted butter is fine
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 garlic cloves, minced (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- pinch black pepper
- pinch nutmeg optional
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml, 12 oz) milk, 2% or whole (1/4 cup of this can be light or heavy cream for extra richness)
- 1 cup (83g) grated white cheese e.g. Gruyere, Fontina, Emmenthal, Monterey Jack, Provolone
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
PREHEAT OVEN to 400F/204C. Spray a small 7-8 inch/18-20cm ovenproof baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray
BOIL GNOCCHI: Bring salted water to boil in medium saucepan. Put gnocchi in boiling water, bring water back to boil, and lower heat to med heat. Gently boil for 2 minutes. Drain gnocchi and set aside.
MAKE CHEESE SAUCE: Melt butter on medium heat in a medium or large saucepan. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add flour and seasonings, stirring for 2 minutes. Add milk (and cream if using), whisking until slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Turn off heat. Stir in grated cheese until smooth sauce is formed. If too thick, add a bit more milk (but note that sauce will thicken further with baking and standing). Taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in gnocchi and green onions.
ASSEMBLE AND BAKE/BROIL: Spoon mixture into prepared gratin dish. Sprinkle 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley over the surface. Bake for 7 minutes, then broil for 3 minutes to brown, watching to ensure it doesn't burn. Let stand for a few minutes (sauce will thicken more) and serve with toothpicks as an appetizer or as a side or main dish.
Nutrition values are estimates for a main dish serving. They will be considerably lower for sides and appetizers.
- Make Ahead: Follow instructions above to boil gnocchi and make cheese sauce, including mixing in gnocchi and green onions. Pour mixture into prepared dish. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When ready to use, sprinkle Parmesan and chopped parsley over surface. Bake in preheated 400F oven for 20-25 minutes. Broil for 2-3 minutes if further browning is needed.
- Servings: Makes 6-8 appetizer servings, 2-3 mains, 4-5 sides.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 536kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 1270mg | Potassium: 221mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1035IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 539mg | Iron: 5mg