Super Easy Potato Knishes
These easy potato knishes are flaky and melt-in-your-mouth despite the shortcuts that cut the recipe time in half. A great appetizer or side. Don't count on leftovers.
Servings (change as needed): 34 pieces approximately
- 1 package puff pastry dough (2 sheets), defrosted if frozen about 17 ounces dough.
- 3 1/2 cups (730g) mashed potatoes (fresh, left over, store-bought or instant) Note 1 equivalent of about 4 large-ish potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry onion soup mix (optional) or salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 egg plus one tablespoon water, mixed (for egg wash)
Heat oven to 400F/204C.
MAKE POTATO MIXTURE: To fry onions, heat oil on medium heat and sauté were onions for 5-6 minutes just until slightly brown. Combine potatoes and caramelized onions in a medium bowl with a fork. Season with salt and pepper or 2 tablespoons of dry onion soup mix - to taste.
MAKE KNISHES: On a lightly floured surface, unroll one sheet of dough. It should be about 1/4 inch/0.63cm thick or less. Stretch out or roll dough a bit if necessary. Spread a log of the savory filling potato mixture - about 2 inches/5cm thick - along one side of the rolled dough. Fold dough over the potato about 1 and 1/2 times in a jelly-roll fashion, making a log/roll. Cut away remaining dough with a sharp knife for the next roll. Tuck ends and pinch seams together well (to ensure filling doesn't seep out). Repeat with other half of dough on that sheet. Then do the same with the second sheet of dough. If you have extra dough and potato mixture left over, make a 5th roll.
BAKE: Place rolls on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper, seam side down. Brush egg wash on rolls which will create a glazed golden look (optional). Bake for 25-30 minutes to a golden brown, flaky pastry. If any filling seeps out, tuck it back into the knish roll with a knife.
TO SERVE: Cut rolls of finished knishes into 2 inch pieces on the diagonal and serve. To make ahead (recommended!) see Note 2.
Nutrition values are rough estimates depending on on puff pastry dough used and how mashed potatoes are made.
- To make mashed potatoes: see recipe for Basic Mashed Potatoes
- Two options for Make Ahead:
- You can make the knish rolls up to 2 months ahead and freeze them unbaked, wrapped well in parchment and ziploc bags. Bake as per instructions whenever you need them (no need to defrost).
- Make the knishes a couple of hours before you need them, including cutting them into serving pieces. Recommended. Reheat in a pre-heated 350F oven for 7-10 minutes. (TIP: I do this all the time and think it's the best way - they get crispier/flakier this way.)
Calories: 90kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 38mg | Potassium: 15mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 7IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 1mg