A nice change from rice, vegetable couscous is a healthy and quick vegetarian side dish. Add some beans, chicken or tofu and turn it into a full meal.
Servings (change as needed): 5 sides
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions (1/2 medium onion)
- 2 cups chopped vegetables, diced small, Note 1
- 2 cups roughly chopped fresh baby spinach
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter (or oil)
- 1 cup dry couscous
- 1 teaspoon -2 curry powder optional
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (e.g. thyme, oregano, basil, tarragon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or more depends on saltiness of broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- zest of one lemon (or 1 tbsp lemon juice)
- Garnish: splash of olive oil, additional chopped herbs e.g. fresh parsley or cilantro, basil, thyme
SAUTE VEGGIES AND AROMATICS: Heat oil in medium saucepan to medium high. Add onions and chopped vegetables. Saute until all water is absorbed, about 8-10 minutes. Mix in spinach and garlic, stirring for 1 minute.
MAKE COUSCOUS: Add broth, butter, seasonings to saucepan with vegetables. Bring to boil. Stir in couscous and remove saucepan from heat. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Stir in lemon zest or juice. Taste, adjust seasonings. Add garnishes as desired.
Nutrition values are estimates.
- Vegetable options: 8 ounces (225g) of mushrooms makes 2 cups chopped. Or use other vegetables such as zucchini, peppers, kale
- Variations to try:
- Use tri-coloured or whole wheat couscous.
- Use any type or mix of mushrooms such as Shitake, Portabello, Oyster, White Button
- Herb options: thyme, basil, tarragon, cilantro, oregano.
- Stir in some cooked sausage, beans, tofu or chicken to create a full meal.
- Make Ahead: Saute all the vegetables ahead, leaving the last step (boiling the broth, adding the couscous, then letting it sit for 5 minutes) until just before serving. Alternatively, make the entire dish then warm in microwave for a minute or two.
Calories: 244kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 537mg | Potassium: 325mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 5018IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg