A nice change from rice, Mushroom Spinach Couscous is a healthy and quick side or vegetarian main dish – and even great the next day for lunch, hot or cold.
So what is couscous? Apparently neither a true pasta or grain, it’s pre-steamed tiny balls of wheat semolina. It’s fast to cook, fat free, sugar free and low in calorie – almost half the calories of rice. Good start. It’s also cheap, light, fluffy and super versatile regarding flavours and added components. Even better.
Plain couscous takes about 8 minutes to make. This recipe, packed with vegetables and aromatics. takes less than 30 minutes. I use onion, garlic, mushrooms and spinach to start, then add a splash of lemon and some chopped herbs to build the flavors.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Use tri-coloured or whole wheat couscous.
- Use any type or mix of mushrooms such as Shitake, Portabello, Oyster, White Button
- Saute different vegetables such as chopped peppers or kale.
- Good options for herbs are thyme, basil, taragon, cilantro, oregano.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons curry powder when sauteing the vegetables.
- Stir in some cooked sausage, beans or chicken to create a full meal.
Make Ahead Mushroom Spinach Couscous
- Saute all the vegetables ahead, leaving the last step (boiling the broth, adding the couscous, then letting it sit for 5 minutes) until just before serving.
- Alternatively, make the entire dish then warm in microwave for a minute or two.
Mushroom Spinach Couscous Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 8 oz (225g) mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 2 cups or more, roughly chopped fresh baby spinach
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tbsp butter (or oil)
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 cup dry couscous
- GARNISH/FINISH: squeeze of lemon, splash of olive oil, chopped herbs (about 1 Tbsp of each)
- SAUTE VEGGIES AND AROMATICS: Heat oil in medium saucepan to medium high. Add onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute until all water is absorbed, about 8-10 minutes. Mix in spinach and garlic, stirring for 1 minute.
- MAKE COUSCOUS: Add broth, butter, salt and pepper to taste to saucepan with vegetables. Bring to boil. Stir in couscous and remove saucepan from heat. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Taste and add garnishes/finishes as desired - lemon juice, olive oil and herbs.
Other side dishes under 30 minutes you might like: