This moist, flaky, flavorful maple balsamic rainbow trout is a perfect weeknight meal, ready in 20 minutes. Just six ingredients. One of our top 3 most popular recipes – simple and delicious.
This recipe has been updated with some new pictures and small recipe tweaks to increase the amount of sauce and thicken it slightly. The original amounts can also be found in the notes section in the recipe below.
This is one of my go-to recipes for weeknights. I can have it on the table from start to finish – with sides – in about 20-30 minutes. Clean up is also easy. Wrap up the tin foil the trout laid on, toss it in the garbage and put the pan back in the cupboard.
And how does it taste? Good! The sweetness and depth of the maple and balsamic flavors work really well together.
Tips for Rainbow Trout
- The only tricks to this recipe are to buy fresh trout fillets and figure out portion size.
- My husband eats a lot, so I buy 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds for the two of us.
- For “normal” eaters, 1 1/2 pounds should serve 3 people. Of course portion size will also depend how substantial your side dishes are.
- A question I get a lot is how long to cook the trout. The general rule of thumb for fish is 10 minutes per inch of thickness. Start checking a minute or two earlier Peek in the center. If the flesh is just turning opaque, it’s done. It should be moist and warm pink, not dry, pale and flaky.
- To make a complete meal in one pan, roast the trout in the same pan with bok choy and broccoli (or other quick roasting vegetables. Here’s our Roasted Bok Choy and Broccoli recipe that will work perfectly. Just lower the temperature to 425F and roast for 8-10 minutes or just until opaque.
Maple Balsamic Rainbow Trout Recipe
- 1.5 lb rainbow trout fillets (2 large or 3-4 smaller)
- salt and pepper
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
Maple Balsamic Sauce/Glaze
- 1 1/2 tbsp good balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sriracha or more (optional)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cornstarch (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- MAKE SAUCE/GLAZE: Whisk together all ingredients in a small glass measuring cup or bowl. If using cornstarch to thicken the glaze, microwave sauce for 45-60 seconds to thicken.
- PREPARE TROUT: Line a pan, large enough to fit the trout, with tin foil and spray it with oil. Generously sprinkle trout with salt and pepper. Sprinkle chopped green onions over fish. Drizzle on HALF the sauce/glaze, reserving the rest for serving.
- ROAST TROUT: Roast trout for 8-11 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. Remove from oven and cut into portions. Slip a spatula between the bottom of the fish and the skin if you want to slip off the skin. Plate the fish with any side dishes you choose. Drizzle on the remaining sauce and garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
Other fish recipes you might like:
Maple Balsamic Pecan-Crusted Salmon get the recipe
Roasted Halibut with Tomatoes and Capers get the recipe